Wireless system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless system

I hope I posted this in the right section.

I'm looking into wireless systems. I'm starting to play bigger stages these days, and I'm always scared to death of stepping on my cable. I'm also getting tired of fixing cables.

Anybody here have any good experience? My budget is around $200-300.

THANKS!
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Easy answer. One of the Line 6 Relays. I have a G30 and love it.

It is clearer than a cable. It has built in 15ft and 30ft cable simulation to replicate the capacitance of a cable if you want that sound. I considered a G50, but went with the G30. I like how the G30 uses a standard 1/4" guitar cable between transmitter and instrument. The G50 uses an oddball connector. Also, the G30 is less expensive. One thing the G50 has on the G30 is build quality. But the G30 is made of what seems to be plenty sturdy polycarbonate.

As far as distance, it's rated to 100ft, but shortly after I got it I took it out to my parent's house in the country and I got beyond 300ft before it started cutting out....and there were trees between me and the receiver. Whatever the case, those distance ratings are pretty much pointless because at 50ft or so there is latency simply due to the speed of sound. Getting beyond that distance, it was nearly impossible for me to play in time.

Comment

I have the X2 (rack mount) and it has worked flawless for me. I got it when it first came out, so about 2 years ago. I think it sounds pretty damn close to a cable, maybe a tad coloration but certainly not enough to worry about. The body pack is plastic but some hardened style that will hold up to any amount of torture. The only thing is I have to use a Duracell battery and it goes thru one battery per night (4 hour show).

joe...
      Last edited by GodWentPUNK; 02-01-2012, 11:06 AM.
      www.godwentpunk.com
      www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Chad, what sort of batteries does the G30 use, and how long do they last?
        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

AA and about 8 hours. That's cool because AAs can be bought anywhere for cheap. I bought a 20 pack of Duracells for around $10 at Wal-Mart. I think they're even cheaper at Sam's Club. I originally was just gonna use it at gigs, but ended up using it at rehearsals too because it's so cheap to operate and love the freedom of wireless.

Comment

Great thread and answers! I too have been thinking about this. Chad or Joe have you ever used your wireless rig with an acoustic set-up?
            "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Another vote for the G30...I've been using one for about a year and a half (gigging regularly) and never had a problem with it. It sounds fantastic! I bought it for the same reason as Chad plus, it mounts nicely on my pedalboard and doesn't have the antennas like the G50.

Comment

I haven't used mine with an acoustic, but I think it would work fine.

Comment

I'd love a G30. In the meantime, I'm using a Line 6 XDS95 I picked in the classifieds a while back. It's not infallible - lose line of sight (like if I wander down off the stage to the back of the room) and connection can get sketchy. But on stage, never had a problem with it. Base unit is on the pedalboard, drawing power alongside my pedals. Belt pack uses a 9 volt every 6-8 hours. Easily good for a gig, sometimes two.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

The G30 is actually what I had in mind. I don't use any pedals though, so I guess I'll just throw the receiver on top of my head. Does it come with a wall wart?

Comment

Yup,it does have a wall wart...it's not a huge one though.

Comment

Anyone tried the G90 rackmount unit? I was thinking of getting one.

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                          The G30 is actually what I had in mind. I don't use any pedals though, so I guess I'll just throw the receiver on top of my head. Does it come with a wall wart?
                          What's the point of getting a wireless if you're going to carry around the receiver anyway?

Seriously, though, I am getting a G30 as well. Two of my band mates use it and it works really well, especially considering the price.
                          Last edited by javert; 02-03-2012, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Just use some Industrial Strength Velcro to attach it to your amp or wherever.

Comment

I have not used the X2 with an acoustic but I can't think of reason why it would not work. I could see you having to maybe reset levels before and after switching from an electric to an acoustic.

I think the X2 turned into the G90, right???

joe...
                              www.godwentpunk.com
                              www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Working...
                              X