Blues amp choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blues amp choices

Looking for a 1 x 12 or 1 x 15 combo to do strictly blues at the local open mic nights. I have a full pedal board to plug into it.
    Looking for something portable and preferably all tube and it must have reverb. I was looking at the Fender Blues Jr, the Crate Vintage series, the Crate Palamino, The Peavey Delta Blues etc...
    Any other suggestions? I don't want to spend a ton on a small combo for open mic nights and its a pain in the but dragging my heavy 2 x 12 combo around.

Blue Do Do?

I'm 100% Marshall, so for me (if I ever got into blues) it would be a JTM45 combo.

Comment

Dr Z...Best blues amps in the world IMO!

All the blues guys around here use 'em. I also met Joe Walsh at the factory trying some out. He's better than I ever gave hime credit for..respect!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

D. Z's are fantastic.......far from cheap though and not as many models come with reverb.

But the newer Maz 8 has it.....
        Jackson KV2
        Jackson KE1T
        Jackson KE1F
        Jackson SL1

Comment

Peavey Classic 30 maybe?

Comment

If size and cost is an issue...... have a look at the VHT Special 6 ultra combo. damn nice package for $330. but it has no reverb. It will do clean, blues, rock, and snarling nasty gain. the odd part is, it has a 3D type feel, even with no reverb. its strange. it dont even need reverb. my friends were quit dumbfounded when they played it too. it has something going on that gives it a feel like it almost has reverb.

I dont know what your looking to spend, but what about a used Mesa Lone Star?
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

i was in nashville last week and saw TONS of awesome blues players. just about ALL of them were using either a blues jr. or a hot rod deluxe. they all had killer tone also.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I have a Dr. Z Maz 18 jr. with reverb. Mine is a 1x12 combo and sounds nice but it's heavy. I bought mine used but in mint condition. These days you're looking at $1200-1400 for one used. If that's within your budget I can second the Dr. Z recommendations above.
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Hmmm.
                  I just built a Matchless Spitfire (2xEL84) and am waiting for a chance to get it tuned up and done.
                  Busy with other amps at the moment.
                  Might be a good choice?
                  It's just a chassis at the moment, no head cab, nor a combo just yet.

Comment

Carvin Vintage 16? I know you dig their other stuff.
                    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

An audio sample of the upcoming Traynor DarkHorse Amplifier.

Even this chucklehead can make it sound great...

In this video Guitar World's gear editor Paul Riario demonstrates the features of the Traynor DarkHorse head and cabinet.For more gear reviews and videos che...

Oops, sorry. Missed the part about the reverb on first read and I don't think this has a loop for your pedalboard. Suggestion fail. It does have some nice blues tones on tap though.
                      Last edited by Hellbat; 02-01-2012, 11:29 PM.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                        Hmmm.
                        I just built a Matchless Spitfire (2xEL84) and am waiting for a chance to get it tuned up and done.
                        Busy with other amps at the moment.
                        Might be a good choice?
                        It's just a chassis at the moment, no head cab, nor a combo just yet.
                        Let me know Cig what you have. We talked about that Matchless Spitfire clone a while back. I would like to get my hands on one of your amps and do a nice demo of it online. Thanks bro. jG

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
                          Carvin Vintage 16? I know you dig their other stuff.
                          Its one I am looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                            I have a Dr. Z Maz 18 jr. with reverb. Mine is a 1x12 combo and sounds nice but it's heavy. I bought mine used but in mint condition. These days you're looking at $1200-1400 for one used. If that's within your budget I can second the Dr. Z recommendations above.
                            Great amps but WAY out of my budget. I am looking to spend around $300.00

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                              I am looking to spend around $300.00
                              VHT special 6 Ultra.
                              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                              X