back up/extra studio rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back up/extra studio rig

i am 100% set and exceptionally happy with my live rig. it has suited me well since 1991. what i am looking for is a "new" rig that i can use as a back up and something different for studio work. here is what i already have:

rivera M100 head
    rivera S120 head
    rivera M100 1x12 combo
    fender tremolux
    fender twin reverb
    fender champ
    fender showman
    fender deluxe reverb
    egnater tweaker
    marshall 2204

what i am looking to get is very specifically either a marshall TSL100, or a Mesa triple rectifier. i do not want a Mesa MKV - i have spent quite a bit of time with one and DO NOT like it!!!!!

here's what i like about each, and remember these would be used primarily for recording:

marshall - it seems to have a lot of tones available depending on how you adjust everything. it seems that i could probably do a lot of sessions with this one head. the biggest thing that sucks is that compared to the vintage fenders, the clean is sterile. a plus is that i COULD bring this onstage and get a good, throaty sound like my rivera's get....

mesa - the triple rec seems to stay tighter than the dual. the 3 channels each have sounds that are usable and decent. what i don't like is that the lead sounds are kinda shrill for my tastes. also, it is clearly a rectifier and would have limited use in the studio. live, though it would MORE than deliver, but the tone would be different than what i am used to.

give me some of your experiences with either. again, i am not really looking at anything else. i have a line on either of these amps for a STEAL, and i may just get both.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

I have had a TSL100 for about ten years, and I love it for the reason you stated: versatility. The range of sounds I can get is fantastic. The 'crunch' channel works great for classic rock type distortions, and the 'lead' channel is great for more gain and more metal tones. Each one is distinct, but hugely tweakable. I have heard a lot of people bash the TSL100, but I have also had a lot of people say they love the sound I get out of mine, and are surprised by the variety of sounds I can get. Volume knob on the guitar affects the amp's sound a lot too, and I have gotten some interesting flavors by just playing with nothing but my guitar volume.

I don't play cleans often at all, so the clean channel has been sufficient for the few times I checked it out briefly

To be fair, I don't have experience with other amps, so I can't compare. I can only tell you that I love my TSL, and the only thoughts I have had about getting another amp was in addition to it, not to replace it. I have heard a boost in front makes a world of difference, but I tried it and didn't like it.

Comment

Mark, I have owned both. Actually, had a few of each.
      TSL100 is a great Marshall sounding amp. Loud as heck. Sounds good at medium and high gain. I think it has a nice clean channel.
      Very friendly to cabinet and speaker selection. Great lead guitar amp. OK at best build quality. Very friendly effects loop.
      Quiet at high gain settings.

Triple Recto. Lots of verstility. Personally, I think this amp can get just about any tone other than Marshall. Great clean tones, tight when you want it to be, organic and loose when you want it. Great rhythm guitar amp. Top notch build quality. Unfriendly effects loop. Likes pedals better than processors. Hissy at high gain settings.

There is my opinion on both. You didn't ask but...

I prefer the Single Recto
      I prefer the DSL100

Comment

thanks guys....

ward, my experience testing the TSL is that it could easily become an "all purpose" amp for me, meaning i could use it live and on sessions and be happy.

john, i know what you mean about the tri rec being "hissy". that sucks in the studio, as you well know. i didn't test the loop so that is good to know. almost all my effects are in a rack, save my phase 90 and wah pedal....

keep it coming!!!!
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Here's my 2 cents.

I've played the tsl live and in the studio many times, but I find it hard to get the tone I want - specifically modern high gain crunch - out of it, without outboard gear. I usually run a distortion and eq pedal in front of the amp and use the clean channel. I'm not bashing the amp, it's great for mid gain rock tones, but for me, the low end was too flubby. I also developed a preference for 6l6's and V30's over EL34's and G-75's.

I've never owned a mesa because I've never had that much cash to throw at an amp, but of the mesa amps I've demoed and played with in the studio, I'll take a mark series (2, 3 or 4)or even a triaxis over the rectifier, just because almost everyone in the universe playing downtuned metal plays a rectifier and has the same basic sound, if that makes sense. The mark 5 is too fiddly for my taste, too many options and you really need to fine tune it to get it where you want it.

The bottom line is they are two different beasts and if you like them, get both! They will be easy to sell or trade if you decide you don't want them.
          Last edited by levantin; 02-09-2012, 02:57 PM.
          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

i ended up getting a mesa nomad 100 watt. my wife and i both agreed that it sounded the best and was very versatile.
            GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Working...
            X