Need a good practice amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a good practice amp

I've been looking for a decent practice amp to use at home, for when I dont feel like setting up my whole guitar rig or when its too late at night to play loud. I use to have a practice amp that was 25w with a 10" speaker but I sold it a few years back to help fund some other gear that I needed at the time. So I want something close to it in size and watts, (speaker could be 8" or 10"). I dont care if it has effects or not. I just want a decent clean and distortion on it. As far as price I'm tryin to keep it around or under $150. Some of the brands I've looked at online have been Orange, Marshall, and Randall. Any experience you have with these amps or other practice amps I would appreciate hearing from you.

I have a little Roland Microcube - $129.00 brand spanking new. It's solid state with amp modeling. It sounds really good for what you want to do. The amp models are - acoustic simulation, Roland JC, Fender BlackFace, Marshall JTM, Marshall JCM800, and a Recto. Also, has a built in tuner, digital delay, reverb, Chorus, line out, and line in for jamming with your MP3 player.

Comment

Been there done that. I personally went with modelling. Cube does sound great, Vox VT15 beat out the cube for me because of the more tonal choices. Fender G-DEC is small too.

Comment

you can also check out LINE 6 SPIDER IV

Comment

+1 for the Roland and Orange Micro Crush stuff for that type of thing
          Jackson KV2
          Jackson KE1T
          Jackson KE1F
          Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by sixxxer View Post
            you can also check out LINE 6 SPIDER IV
            I would say this or that new peavey vypr

Comment

Peavey Vypyr 15w is my practice amp. I did a head-to-head pitting it against Line 6's Spider III (at the time it was the latest model) and it won easily. Plus, I got it for $80 so it was a steal.

Comment

I have the Cube 20XL and it is a rocking little amp. Sounds really good. Perfect for practice or even a small gig.
                "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                ENGL Powerball II
                Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
                1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
                1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
                2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
                2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
                2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
                2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
                2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
                2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
                2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
                1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Love my Blackstar HT-1.

Comment

Fender Mustang serie.
                    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by BigE13 View Post
                      I have the Cube 20XL and it is a rocking little amp. Sounds really good. Perfect for practice or even a small gig.
                      +1

Comment

Go Guitar Rig... It's the best practice tool I've ever had... Seriously...
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                          Fender Mustang serie.
                          Same here.
                          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

About 3 years ago I borrowed a Tech 21 Trademark 30 (I think) when my Vox DA5 died. It was light, had a variety of tones, easy to use. It sounded better than my Vox.

Comment

My oldest son is using my Boss Micro BR these days so I was tired of looking around for it.

So I got this for my iPhone:

Not cheap but made in the USA. Works without a glitch.

If you got an iPad/iPhone or iPod Touch that is compatible with the JAM adaptor, you just grab some some free appz from the AppStore and you've got a practicing tool that follows you everywhere.

What I'm using right now:

Free AmpKit from Peavey (quite good for my needs at the moment but thinking of buying the 6505 as I own one!)
                              Free Slow Notes (slows down tunes and pitch correction so you don't have to downtune your guitar, you can even loop a section of the tune)
                              A free metronome (I use the steinway and sons)

With that, you are ready to rock!
                              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
                              X