X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AxeFx 2 on the way!!

Stoked!

That is all...

Can't wait to get this sucker. Dumping the Splawn after it arrives, leaving me with a HUGELY downsized rig after what I've been using the last couple years...

I love my AxeFX II. What are you using for power/speakers/FRFR?
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Just going with the way I like to hear it -- solid state power amp thru a stereo 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks.

Comment

I'm insanely jealous right now! I want one of these bad. Tired of having no stand alone editor for my 11 rack.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Chris,

I hear you about doing the solid state + cab thing. I am glad that I started out the way that you are going. After you get a few notches in your belt with that setup, try using a full range monitor. It really opens up the tones that you can accomplish. Regardless of what people think about amps, the cab has the biggest impact on your tone.

Have fun =)

-Nate

Comment

congratulations!
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Don't dump the Splawn, you'll regret it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                Don't dump the Splawn, you'll regret it!
                I actually had a Spawn Nitro, Bogner Uberschall, and a Mesa Roadster. I am not disappointed with my choice at all. At first, I had a VHT 2:90:2 powering the Axe-FX II into 2 uberkabs. Sounded great. Then I dumped the VHT and the cabs and picked up 2 QSC K-12's. I played with a friend that had a Engl powerball + full stack that was very surprised of the volume and the tone that I was getting. Then again, I am not playing out anymore and just having something that totaled ~30 lbs and only a couple of cables was nice. It's a great portable system and recording with it is totally simple. I didn't have to haul around all that gear and debug it every single time I hooked it back up. To me, that was worth the cost of admission. I don't even think about buying effects or amps anymore. The sound coming out of this thing is godly.

The most important thing is to pay attention to the setup process. And since you are using your own cabs, remember to disable them in the setup.

-Nate
                Last edited by nateb; 02-25-2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Yep. I hate cab sims, so that's a big part of why I play mine the way I do. BTW - I have had the Standard, and have an Ultra again after taking a year+ away from modelers. I've decided (again) that modeling is really where it's at for me, especially since I have a penchant for boredom. The Axe changes things up often enough that it doesn't really become a problem that way.

I'll miss the Splawn, but I think a buddy will be buying it. Once Cliff gets the "profiling" feature up to snuff, I'll be able to "have my Splawn back".

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                    Yep. I hate cab sims, so that's a big part of why I play mine the way I do. BTW - I have had the Standard, and have an Ultra again after taking a year+ away from modelers. I've decided (again) that modeling is really where it's at for me, especially since I have a penchant for boredom. The Axe changes things up often enough that it doesn't really become a problem that way.

I'll miss the Splawn, but I think a buddy will be buying it. Once Cliff gets the "profiling" feature up to snuff, I'll be able to "have my Splawn back".

get the Kemper. IMO from what I have heard so far it kicks the AxeFX's ass in a big way. Pretty impressive actually.
                    Last edited by Animus; 02-26-2012, 01:22 AM.
                    2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
                    Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

Originally posted by Animus View Post
                      get the Kemper. IMO from what I have heard so far it kicks the AxeFX's ass in a big way. Pretty impressive actually.
                      Impressive yes. But not what I'm looking for. Once the Axe starts it "profiling career", there will be a lot of unhappy Kemper folks.

Comment

one thing I've wondered about the Kemper - does it come pre-loaded with profiles? Or is it a clean slate, waiting for you to start profiling amps?

If the latter, that's a huge tick in Fractal's favour because a lot of people don't have free access to bunches of boutique amps. So a lot of folks would be using their Kempers to profile the Marshalls, Fenders, maybe Sovteks, Laneys, Peaveys & Carvins they can get their hands on in their area. Those guys dreaming of rocking on out on their very own SLO100 or Dumble (facsimile) won't be any closer if they can't find one to hook up to their Kemper.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

I believe there is a 'community' of Kemper people up there competing to upload the 'coolest' profile. While there will probably be a lot of bad profiles, there's going to be some gems there too. If they add profiling to the Axe II that makes it pretty desirable, If I recall correctly, it has more CPU horsepower than the Kemper.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                            one thing I've wondered about the Kemper - does it come pre-loaded with profiles? Or is it a clean slate, waiting for you to start profiling amps?
                            Was wondering this myself. I'm looking at getting an AxeFx and the Kemper recently caught my eye. I haven't seen anything that says whether it comes with profiles or not.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                              Impressive yes. But not what I'm looking for. Once the Axe starts it "profiling career", there will be a lot of unhappy Kemper folks.

Maybe. THe AxeFX creator already said earlier on that he looked into profiling so to speak and decided it wouldn't be a good direction. And I am skeptical they can re-purpose the AxeFX efficiently to do something like what the Kemper does, which was built from the ground up for the technology.
                              Last edited by Animus; 02-26-2012, 11:04 PM.
                              2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
                              Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

Working...
                              X