No announcement yet.

Speaker for 1x12 open back Boogie cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker for 1x12 open back Boogie cab?

I have an older half-open back Boogie 1x12 cab with the Black Shadow speaker. I know people love these speakers, but to me it sounds like crap -- entirely too midrangey. I suppose it could just be that I don't like the sound of a small open back cab, but I want to try another speaker in it before I give up on it. Any recommendations? I suppose the other option would be to close off the back and see if that helps.

Seems to me closing off the back temporarily would be the cheapest way to start. Try that first, see how it changes your sound and whether or not it's an improvement to you. Another thing to consider is closing it off but adding a port tuned to the size of the box. That's a lil trick I picked up from the car stereo guys that can totally change the way a cabinet sounds. Either one of those ways should give you more on the bottom end. Maybe these ideas and a lil tweaking on your EQ will provide the sound you're after.
    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

I like the idea of adding a port.....that could beef it up nicely. Still seems easier to swap the speaker though? I can use a screwdriver and solder iron, but I'm not very good with much else!

Comment

Yeah, you're right about that being easier. Some of us have a thing about doing anything "the easy way" lol. Swap the speaker for now and maybe keep the other idea in mind for use in the future. Sometimes you find out someone you already know has the skill you may need now and then. Me? I like to experiment.
        In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Just my opinion...I think the only way to make a 112 cabinet sound better is to replace it with a 412. And an open-back one at that? Lol.

Didn't Boogie used to make ported 112? The thiele ones?

Comment

Oh I have plenty of other (larger) cabs! I still use the 1x12 though for small jam sessions.

Comment

I like the Celestion Vintage 30 in my open back combo. I might be tone deaf though!
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Vintage 30 or my favorite is the Celestion G12-65 which has a bit more bottom end than the V30. The V30 is awesome but can be a little harsh in the mid and high tones in some cabs...
                "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                ENGL Powerball II
                Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
                1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
                1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
                2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
                2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
                2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
                2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
                2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
                2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
                2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
                1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

I hope I didn't come across as a dick...I just hate small cabs. But, I would love to have one that sounded good. If that were possible it would be so cool.

Comment

Working...
                  X