How Do I record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I record?

Can someone help me out? I'd like to start recording, but don't know how to go about it. I want to record on my amp and somehow get it onto my computer. Besides needing a mic, I don't know what else I need to get the amp recorded. How do I hook up an XLR cable to my Mac?

I have a friend who says I should use a Line 6 tone port, but when I look at those, they're full of digital preamps for guitar (which I don't want. I have a great MTS setup). I'm also not looking to spend a fortune on an audio interface, I'd keep the price under $300 if I can.

What should I do? How should I go about it? I'm pretty clueless about recording and could really use some help.

Thanks in advance. Peace-

get one of the M-audio protools set ups from best buy or GC. they are fairly affordable and will give you an interface to record your guitar into your computer along with software.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

The M-Audio Fast Track family is within that price range. You can either plug the XLR mic or your guitar directly.

I can't remember if it came bundled with recording software though.

Comment

I use a M-Audio PCI Audiophile 192 card installed inside the PC with Reaper(DAW software). The M-Audio card gives you 1/4" line inputs and outputs and MIDI I/O with NO latency. I've had issues with some of the USB interfaces with regards to latency. I use a MIC pre-amp between the MIC and the line in of the PCI card since the M-Audio has no built in MIC pre-amp. Slap the MIC in front of my 4x12 cab...hit record...let rip!

Also works great if you don't want to use an amp at all. Grab Amplitube 3, and plug your guitar directly into the input...instant Virtual guitar rig. If you're going to do modeling, this is the simple way to go.

The card does not have rca outs for pc speakers, so I run the 1/4" outs to the mixing board where I can choose to use my headphones or run it through my QSC PA rig.

Just checked...holy crap...Amazon slashed the price on this thing... http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-US4175.../dp/B00064ABSG
        I paid about $159 years back. I might have to pick up another one for more inputs!!

I was just recording a bit this morning...wouldn't trade that card for anything...works flawlessly.
        Last edited by BayRocker; 03-03-2012, 01:24 PM.
        My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Originally posted by BayRocker View Post
          I use a M-Audio PCI Audiophile 192 card installed inside the PC with Reaper(DAW software). The M-Audio card gives you 1/4" line inputs and outputs and MIDI I/O with NO latency. I've had issues with some of the USB interfaces with regards to latency. I use a MIC pre-amp between the MIC and the line in of the PCI card since the M-Audio has no built in MIC pre-amp. Slap the MIC in front of my 4x12 cab...hit record...let rip!

Also works great if you don't want to use an amp at all. Grab Amplitube 3, and plug your guitar directly into the input...instant Virtual guitar rig. If you're going to do modeling, this is the simple way to go.

The card does not have rca outs for pc speakers, so I run the 1/4" outs to the mixing board where I can choose to use my headphones or run it through my QSC PA rig.

Just checked...holy crap...Amazon slashed the price on this thing... http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-US4175.../dp/B00064ABSG
          I paid about $159 years back. I might have to pick up another one for more inputs!!

I was just recording a bit this morning...wouldn't trade that card for anything...works flawlessly.
          I have a IMac. Its an all in one machine and I Doubt I could install that.

Comment

Well, ok then
            My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

I bought one of these:

The mic XLR plugs into it, then there's a USB lead that goes directly into the Mac. After that, the Mac recognises it as a new audio input source. I use GarageBand to record the audio, but I imagine there's a whole host of options there.

Here's the mic I use (pretty standard for micing guitar amps, from what I understand):
              My other signature says something funny

Comment

This is an awesome interface and for what you get the price is pretty great:

It comes with recording software (Ableton Live Lite), but it will work just about any DAW.

As for a mic, I have had success with both the classic Shure SM57 and with the Sennheiser E609.

Comment

You don't need a mic per se, but a cord from your FX send into your interface, using IR Cab sims will get you a long way (or the sims found in Guitar software)

Yeah you're missing out on powertube (Weber mass could help here) and speakerdistortion (though simulated by software may ease that)
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Any of the simple interface devices will work for you right now. You just need to figure out what you want to do going forward.

Say you go and buy the preSonus USB audio box for $150 from GC/SA. You will get the software to record with for free. But in 2 years you want to record a whole band and master, now you are either faced with buying different equipment and learning how to use the software all over again, or you have to buy equipment that works with the PreSonus software. This also goes for plugins and softsynths and the PreSonus upgrade software.

So choosing wisely at this point will make things easier down the road.

Comment

Working...
                    X