Getting a Genz Benz El Diablo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a Genz Benz El Diablo.

Looking at buying a Genz Benz El Diablo head tomorrow anything I should check before I lay my money down? It's a 100/50 watt head. Thanks for your input.
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

I'm hoping by the lack of responses that it's a good setup. I just brought it home and haven't plugged it in yet but I played it at the guys house and it sounds really good. I gave $500 bucks for it. I don't think I did to bad it looks like new, a big step up from the old Sovtek. The learning curve has just changed.........a lot. Tomorrow's band practice so I will get to really enjoy it....loud.
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

I hate that amp personally but congrats.
      I like EL34s.

Comment

I have the 60W combo version. Only advice I have is that the Hot channel has more gain than you'll ever need. Too much Gain will result in mush. Start with Gain at 10 o' clock and go from there. Same with the bass knob, keep it low and turn up to where you like it. The half power switch and Tube Contour change the sound too. Before I bought the amp every time I checked it out at the store the Gain and bass were always cranked by people thinking more would be better, but it's not the case with this amp. Use moderation with settings.

Comment

Congrats on your purchase.
          I had a Diablo 100 Head.
          Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it that much. I had a really hard time finding something that didn't cause ear fatigue after awhile.
          I sold it, (for good $$$)
          I ended up getting a Randall RT-503 AND a Bugera 6260, with the proceeds.

Keep in mind, that just because it wasn't right for me, it doesn't mean it's not a good amp.

Comment

I'm gonna retube it as the old ones sound a little tired but other than that I like it.

Comment

As long as you like it, that's what counts. I have tried one out, and didn't like it at all. It is one of the few amp heads that seems to be universally hated more so even than the Crate Blue Voodoo.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

had one. they can get some good tones. wasnt for me though... also had one also that blew up right out of the box when they first came out but they had transformer issues that were corrected early on.

Comment

They certainly look good, very solid and loud, ton of features.
                  I think maybe the active EQ throws some people off,

I found it to be very touchy, and small adjustments made big changes.

Comment

After putting in JJ 6L6GC's and JJ ECC83S' it sounds really good. It fits in with the bands overall sound great. It took me for ever to get the sound I wanted out of it, or settled for, not sure which. I really like the "Warm" channel which is the clean channel. It's pretty clear and woorks fine with high output pickups. The "Hot" channel is good enough, I like the sound of my Sovtek with a dirt pedal in front of it better but it gets the job done.

Comment

Working...
                    X