No announcement yet.

To SL-X, or not.. that's the question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I am late to the party but I would have chose the SLX. I played that amp at Sambencuda's studio. It ripped.
    Great classic high gain Marshall tone.

Comment

One of the best sounding Marshall's I ever owned was Mesa Boogie Stiletto Stage 2.

Picture a high gain Marshall, dead quiet with a ton of bottom end.

I owned a few Plexi's that ripped too. The 2210 is a monster. I also love the DSL's.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        I know I am late to the party but I would have chose the SLX. I played that amp at Sambencuda's studio. It ripped.
        Great classic high gain Marshall tone.
        Oh, it sounded good alright,
        However pedigree aside, both the Carvin and Laney sounded "better" to me.

All 3 amps were around the same price, the Marshall really only sounded good when played loud.
        The Carvin and Laney offered more, quite frankly.

I picked the Laney, because it was "closer" to the Marshall, in terms of character.
        Growing up, Laney was always the "Other Marshall" - High Gain Brit sound that didn't need to be modded.

This amp still has that character, with a channel that can sound "Modern" as well.

I played all 3, (the SL-X Twice), they were the same price $800-$900, they all could produce great tone to my ears, I just picked what I preferred.

I was saving for the H&K Switchblade, I was really trying out the others, to "convince" myself the H&K was the way to go, however I was so impressed with the Laney, after 20min I abandoned my desire for H&K, I went home, found the best price online and placed the order.

However, if I ran across an SL-X in the $500.00 range, I'd probably grab one.
        Last edited by 2Loud2Old; 03-14-2012, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Awesome on the Laney!

I just picked up a Laney AOR100 series II. 100 watt monster. It does sound like a slightly more overdriven 800. I just got it, so i'm tweaking the sounds still. I'm throwing some higher gain preamp's in there soon. I got it for $250.
          "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

Working...
          X