No announcement yet.

So I modded a BF-2 Boss Flanger........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I modded a BF-2 Boss Flanger........

So, the i'm not diggin the Flanger in the G-major. Until recently, Although I've owned pedals over the years, I've never been much of a pedal guy, but I do use a wah and an MXR Smart Gate so with the anticipated addition of a Flanger I decided to put together a small pedal board. I found a cheap BF-2 on eBay for 40 bucks. It sounded good, but kinda sterile to my ears. Kinda like the G-major. So I bought this $20 mod kit off eBay.

I figured, worst case, I blow a $40 pedal. So I get it and do it up. HOLY SHIT did this pedal come to life. It's got that Van Halen 1 Flanger tone. It's kinda gritty, deeper and the manual control has a lot more range. If you aren't afraid to take stuff apart and have a steady hand at soldering give it a whirl. It also came with a cool dual led that pulses red to match the rate in the on and off position and a blue light comes on with the pulsing red while it's on. Pretty badass. So for 60 bucks, I've got a custom modded Flanger. I may get their gain kit for my TS-9.
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

sounds cool. The pulsing LED is cool too

I have a couple of old pedals that probably won't get shit on ebay so I've been toying with the idea of modding them.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Very good man..I hear you with the G-Major. I use that fuck for NG, Tuner, and delay/boost for leads..that's it! It does THAT great!

The best flange pedals I ever had were the cheap Ross, ADA, and the old MXR pedal and blue rack mount! The best dedicated delay I had were the Chandler digital echo and the Bel BD-80.

But I have to admit the JFX-1 doesn't do much but what it does do is superb IMO!! I bought this one new in '96, and it never failed me. I need to buy another one because it is a HUGE part of my Marshall sound. Rudy just bought one and wanted to know about the power supply. Shit I haven't look at the back of my rack for years. It's heavy as fuck and against the wall on top of four 1960B cabs..fuggit. Besides. Rudy know more than I about that kinda shit.

Rudy..now that you have the JFX-1 amound a mountain of great gear..how does it rate? I am very curious.

Back on track..I always thought the purple Boss Flangers were passable. They were close to greatness but missed the mark of that mojo. If my dear broseph got that mojo..he did great by me! But everytime I use a flange I immediately strat playing like Jake E Lee..that kinda shit. Certain sounds just ring bells in my head. I always play unchained but can never get the up/down sweep of the flange right on the drop D.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Cool kit. I should see if the have any SD-1 mod kits, I'd love to be able to switch in a little tubescreamer honk on mine.

For flanging, I went with the Paul Gilbert Airplane Flanger. I like it a lot, but it's got so many sounds that sometimes I sit there tweaking it and forget to play my guitar...
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I use a bone stock DOD FX-75B flanger and I couldn't be happier.

Correct me if I am wrong but... isn't the infamous effect on VH1 a Phase Shifter? I believe its the MXR Phase 90 or the Phase 45. I have a Phase 90 and its dead on EVH the second you step on it.

Comment

Very good man..I hear you with the G-Major. I use that fuck for NG, Tuner, and delay/boost for leads..that's it! It does THAT great!
            I hear ya Bill. I only use it to change channels, a little delay and reverb for the clean channel, nothing on the dirty and I do have a boosted patch for leads with a little delay. I love it for that. I don't even use the NG or tuner any more. I've got an MXR smart gate and Korg DTR-1000.

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            I use a bone stock DOD FX-75B flanger and I couldn't be happier.

Correct me if I am wrong but... isn't the infamous effect on VH1 a Phase Shifter? I believe its the MXR Phase 90 or the Phase 45. I have a Phase 90 and its dead on EVH the second you step on it.
            He used a phase 90 more then a flanger (MXR?), but there is flanger in there. I know the middle palm effect in Atomic Punk is a flanger while the beggining and others are the phase 90.

John you should really hear this pedal. I'm not sure if I'm in love with it for really high gain, but for decent hard rock type gain it sounds amazing. My only regret is that I didn't record it before I did the mod to have a direct comparison. It would be cool to A/B it with a stock BF-2. I should pick up a phase 90. I'm like a pedal addict now.
            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Originally posted by sambencuda View Post
              I'm like a pedal addict now.
              I'm with you on that one. I was registering my Wampler pedal and filled out the survey and they ask what pedals you have and I thought, this will just take a sec. Then I hit the 6th one and realized I had 8 or 9 left and thought, "Uh oh, I have a acquisition problem that I hadn't previously noticed."

My last 4 pedal purchases were total impulse grabs while visiting music stores. This Octopussy is in my radar scope right now... ( not because it's pretty rippin and stuff. )

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
              X