NGD. start of a rack rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD. start of a rack rig

OK, technically it was last night, but I picked up a POD pro and a Rocktron Hush Super C for a pretty good price last night. this will be the start of a rack rig for use with a cover band. I'm on the fence about what to get for a power amp. I would like something tube that can be had 2nd hand for 250-300 on the top end. Or possibly just getting a tube head and running into the FX return to run my 4x12 cab.

Planning on adding a Furman conditioner, a tuner, then I would like to get an ada MP-1 or Marshall JMP-1 at some point.

Also what are you guys liking for the actual rack cases?

pic of them sitting loose
    Red JDR-94
    Maroon PS-3T with shark fin neck
    Duncan Invader pickups
    Jackson>ZW Wah>Vintage phase 90>ZW OD or Boss SD>Maxon SD9>MXR Flange 117>NS2>Bugera 1960>effects loop>boss chorus>MXR 10-band>effects loop return

Any case for anything: ANVIL>everything else

Comment

Kris Kraft is the finest cases money can buy.

Go for a power amp to really bring out the best in your tone IMHO.

Here is a shot of my rack. It was about a year in the making including wiring and programming the board and units.

The small one to the left is but a portable backup and jamming version.

Comment

Here's my awesome rig. Needs more stuff.

Roland GP-100 into a Carver GA250 into a Peavey stereo 4x12 cab with Sheffield speakers. It's in an SKB case. I think it's called a "Gig Rig" because it has a mixer in the top (Mackie 1202VLZ). That's why I chose it over another brand at the time I bought it (I think that was 1996).

No cracks about the wall paper! It came with the house.
        Last edited by mark123; 03-18-2012, 12:59 PM.
        Tube free since 1998.

Comment

Love that Surfcaster!!!

Comment

I think you're doing the right thing by adding in other proven rack items too.
            YEARS ago I bought the Pod Pro new. I wanted a 1 unit solution to replace my Peavey Rockmaster and Zoom 9150. I racked it up with my Peavey 50/50. As a live rig, I never could get the standalone Pod to sound as cool as my RM and Zoom. I think it would have been a neat studio item on it's own. I sold the Pod within a month and went back to my old setup.

Comment

I'm actually getting that impression from the Pod pro, that it'll be a lot of fun for at home but not the best for live use. I am in this stuff for a little more than a super C would cost off of evilbay. I should be able to sell the Pod here in the next few weeks to fund a different pre-amp setup, and I think that I'm going to look for a used G-major or midiverb to do my processing.

I want to try some more pre-amp options before I go ahead and invest in the power amp and etc. I'm the only guitar player in this band that's getting going, so I would like to run a stereo rig to help expand the sound a bit
              Red JDR-94
              Duncan Invader pickups
              Jackson>ZW Wah>Vintage phase 90>ZW OD or Boss SD>Maxon SD9>MXR Flange 117>NS2>Bugera 1960>effects loop>boss chorus>MXR 10-band>effects loop return

Comment

I have both the Marshall JMP-1 as well as the ADA MP-1 and they both are classic tube preamps. Both have their faults but I have tried tons of other units and I keep coming back to those two classics.

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
                  Love that Surfcaster!!!
                  Thanks, man. It could be new guitar syndrome but I'm liking it more than the Rhoads. I'm digging the different sound of the lip stick tubes. I haven't played for quite some time before I bought it and it's sort of waking me back up to playing again.

I have both the Marshall JMP-1 as well as the ADA MP-1 and they both are classic tube preamps. Both have their faults but I have tried tons of other units and I keep coming back to those two classics.
                  I remember back when those two units were new that I lusted for them so bad. What else is in your rigs? Give us the rundown.

Originally posted by brandoz28 View Post
                  I'm actually getting that impression from the Pod pro, that it'll be a lot of fun for at home but not the best for live use. ...
                  I hear that a lot. I tend to agree with it. I'm not a fan of the Line 6 stuff though. :shrug: It's ok, I guess.
                  Tube free since 1998.

Comment

Here is the whole rig rundown...

Furman PL Plus
                    Line 6 G90 Wireless
                    Korg DTR-1000 Tuner
                    TC Electronics D Two delay
                    Intellifex Online
                    Pedal drawer with the following...
                    MXR Flanger
                    MXR Phase 90
                    CAE Boost/Overdrive
                    Boss AC3 Acoustic Simulator
                    TC Electronics Chorus

Marshall JMP-1
                    DMC GCX switcher
                    DMC GCX System mix line mixer
                    BBE 422A
                    Dwarmer DS201 Gate
                    Marshall 9100 PA

Rig is W/D and is running into two Marshall 1960A 4x12 cabinets.
                    Last edited by vklobucar; 03-18-2012, 08:10 PM.

Comment

bet that rig sounds killer vklobucar!

I've had line 6 amps and played a regular pod before, I stumbled on this piece for a good price, figured that I would give it a whirl, but it's already on craigslist lol.
                      Red JDR-94
                      Duncan Invader pickups

Comment

Cool !! I had a old friend who loves Criss Oliva. My Marshall JMP-1 / JFX-1 does an amazing version of that. This was some time ago and you can't just pluch stuff from trees then. So, It bought that POD and a Mesa 2:90, and wanted me to do my best to get the Oliva sound. Actually it wasn't hard to do. This was a night before he did a show. He only used that sound..it did sound very good!

To me even better..I saw Jeff Loomis and In Flames use them. They also sounded very good. Jeff used his Strategy 400 with it. He sounded amazing!
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The JMP won't do what the ADA does, the ADA doesn't do what the JMP can

...but both together in a rig?
                          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

It can easily be accomplished with the DMC GCX switcher.....

I thought about doing just that but that would mean yet another larger rack. This fridge that I have now is heavy as hell already! LOL!

Comment

It can easily be accomplished with the DMC GCX switcher.....

I thought about doing just that but that would mean yet another larger rack. This fridge that I have now is heavy as hell already! LOL!
                              Problem solved, that rack of yours has wheels! Nice rack you got there. I'm just about done wiring up a rack that has a JMP-1 and MP-1 combo in it. Its that Marshall power amp that weighs a ton! Sounds great though! Years ago I had a Pod Pro and experienced the same thing others here have. It sounded fine at home but live it convinced me to sell it off. And that was running it through a Mesa 2:90 power amp!
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                              X