4 6L6's into 1 Celestion vintage 30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 6L6's into 1 Celestion vintage 30?

I know the v30 is rated 60 watts and the four 6L6's in push/pull class AB is give or take 100 watts. But I seem to recall reading in several places that guitar speakers all tend to be rated quite a lot lower than what they can actually handle in regular use. Also, these things are supposed to sound best when really pushed, right?

Reason I'm asking is I've got a JTM 45 kit amp in a combo cab with a single Celestion vintage 30. Then I've got an old Newcomb theater amp head with 4 6L6's (and a bunch of metal preamp tubes, really cool) that I use plugged into a beater cab with a single Altec 417b, which supposedly is rated 75 watts. I want to get rid of the Altec speaker and the beater cab and instead, when I want to use the Newcomb, just stack it on the jtm combo and plug the celestion into it. Why? I have a hard time getting a good jam on when there are too many toys and options to consider beforehand and also just to tidy up and simplify my music room a bit. Want to get rid of extra stuff I don't need or use as much as other stuff that can be multipurposed.

So, anyone out there run 100 watts into one vintage 30? Did the speaker blow or did your output trans fail?

If it matters, both my Altec and my v30 are 8 ohms.

LOL, I wouldn't do it. An EV will handle that but will be heavy. Some heads put out considerably more than their rated output power.

Comment

Poof!

Comment

Considering that I can't be in the same room with a 20 watt tube amp running hard, I think your volume will be an issue long before you blow a speaker.

Mesa Mark 4 combo - case in point.

I think you have better things to worry about...like using a V30 in the first place! Lol...

Comment

Argh... Fine, I'll keep the speakers as is. Thanks for your advice fellers.

Comment

Working...
          X