NAD Peavey 6505+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD Peavey 6505+

Found a great deal on a new 6505+ head and it should arrive on Monday. Excited to finally have a real amp again. For the last year and a half or so I've been playing through a PodXT as a pre-amp through a crappy PA power amp into my Diezel 4x12.

I've seen on many forums that a lot of people are pushing 6505's with a tube screamer or something similar to tighten things up a bit. Any particular recommendations as far as to which model?

I've also seen conversation regarding the 6505+ being biased cold from the factory and that a simple bias mod opens things up quite a bit. Does anyone here have one with the bias mod to bias it a little hotter?

Its a great amp. You are going to love it. I use a Tube Screamer with my 5150-II (which is basically the same thing) for that exact reason. It sounds great without it too.
    What you have is a real amp with real ballz. It can knock paint off the walls and turn you into a rock god.
    Trust me. I am one.

Comment

I have a 2008 6505+ head through a 6505 cab and it's still amazing to me. I only add my GT-8 pedal board for a noise suppressor & used the EQ and it's perfect. Sounds great with either my Les Paul or Jacksons. I have the Bias Mod on the back but never had to adjust the bias at all.

Comment

It's a nice LOUD amp for sure.
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Hope it works for ya mang!
          sigpic
          Action Jackson

Comment

Finally got home and got a chance to setup and plugin. It sounds great. I can't wait to get it into a band setting this weekend. I actually think the cleans are quite good on this amp. They far exceeded my expectations considering the bad reputation they get in many reviews. I'm still in the honeymoon phase, and it has been about two years since I had to sell my last real amp (ENGL Powerball), but I think I like my 6505+ better than the Powerball.

One question to those that have the 6505+ or 5150II, when playing on the lead channel, and engaging the crunch, do you notice a bit of a low mid frequency boost and a touch more gain? I was under the impression that the Crunch only made a difference on the Rhythm channel, but there is a definite gain/low mid frequency boost if the crunch is engaged when on the lead channel.
            Last edited by Electric; 03-26-2012, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Here are some pics:

Comment

Originally posted by Electric View Post
                Finally got home and got a chance to setup and plugin. It sounds great. I can't wait to get it into a band setting this weekend. I actually think the cleans are quite good on this amp. They far exceeded my expectations considering the bad reputation they get in many reviews. I'm still in the honeymoon phase, and it has been about two years since I had to sell my last real amp (ENGL Powerball), but I think I like my 6505+ better than the Powerball.

One question to those that have the 6505+ or 5150II, when playing on the lead channel, and engaging the crunch, do you notice a bit of a low mid frequency boost and a touch more gain? I was under the impression that the Crunch only made a difference on the Rhythm channel, but there is a definite gain/low mid frequency boost if the crunch is engaged when on the lead channel.
                I don't notice that on my 5150-II. I also agree that the clean tones are very good and very useable.

Comment

Does anyone here use the effects loop on their 5150/6505? If so does it seem to be noisy? The only thing that I want to run in the loop is an MXR 10 Band EQ, but even with the EQ bypassed, when the loop is engaged there is a high amount of noise. The noise doesn't get any better or worse when the EQ is on either. I suppose it could be a noisy tube causing the problem.

I tested just running a patch cable from the send to the the return without anything in between, and there is no noise with the loop engaged, so that would lead me to believe there is nothing wrong with the tube. I put my Boss CH-1 in the loop to see if there is maybe just an issue with my EQ pedal, but the same noise occurs when the loop is engaged.

Any suggestions?

My normal signal path is Guitar >>Boss CH-1 >> MXR Classic Overdrive >> ISP Decimator >> Amp

The only thing I want in the loop is the MXR 10 Band EQ.

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of tube amp repairs.
                    sigpic
                    Action Jackson

Comment

My brother in law's 5150 combo I use the loop and it's kinda noisy but the gate quiets it up perfect. Send->MXR EQ->Chorus->Delay->Smart Gate->Return.
                      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
                        Welcome to the wonderful world of tube amp repairs.
                        I'm hopeful that a repair isn't required. The amp is brand new. At least if it does need repaired it is definitely in warranty. Even a tube would be warranty at this point. I'll throw my ISP decimator in the loop tonight and see what happens.

Comment

Nimitz had a bad experience with a 5150, a wound that seems to still be open. The 6505+ is a great amp. I had one and I did the bias range mod on it and it warmed up quite a bit after I biased it in the range a 6L6 should be. IMHO, it will sound best with its matching cab, but the Diezel doesnt sound like a bad way to go. Regarding your FX loop, are you powering the 10band with battery or A/C adapter? I noticed mine made a little more noise when there was that additional ground added with the use of an adapter. I agree a gate should get rid of that though, or a Furman. I too owned the PB, and now being separated from both for months now, Id go for the 6505+ for the money. The PB is a GREAT amp, but other than the true clean channel, I dont see much advantage to it, and the 6505+ has a lower noise floor on the lead channel. Basically what Im saying, is if I did it over again, Id just get the 6505+.
                          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Powering the EQ with the included 18V adapter. The MXR 10 Band doesn't have the option of using batteries.

Comment

Ill go out on a limb and say if you get a Furman youll probably be ok.
                              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Working...
                              X