A different kind of "Recommend Me a Practice Amp" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different kind of "Recommend Me a Practice Amp" thread

So I am thinking the tubed Vypyr may be the only one that can fit the bill but would like input from you all.

I am looking for a practice amp/tool that will be truely well rounded in helping me learn to play guitar well. I am almost halfway done with Troy Stetina's Metal Volume 2 series (already did the primer and Vol 1) so I want something that will give me that 80s metal tone for sure but I also want versitility so if I want to play blues or jazz this amp will do it. I would like to have as many effects at my disposal as possible and a looper would be great (especially if it will slow down music I am trying to learn). If it had a built in metronome/drum machine that would be awesome. I would like to control things from pedals if possible and be able to record into my computer. It would also be nice to easily pick it up and take it to a friends house to jam with another guitarist. Doesn't have to have a speaker if I can get a little cabinet to go with it but that would be nice.

I am basically looking for the most well rounded piece of equipment that will help me pratice/learn guitar (the main purpose of this amp) and have fun doing it. I want something that will have as many important tools at my fingertips/feet to get the job done. And be something that will have a nice following so I can get help or advice from a user support group. It seems to me that the Peavey Vypyr is the best piece of equipment to take care of this but I know you all here know a lot more than I do so please give me your thoughts.

How much do you want to spend? Lots of good choices in the modeler world that would probably meet and exceed your needs.

Comment

I agree with Chris. A good modeller, (Pod HD, 11 Rack, Axe-FX, Kemper) a set of headphones and/or some decent monitors (Mackie, KRK, Yamaha, etc.) will give you everything you are looking for. Then if you start playing out it's just a matter of grabbing a good FRFR monitor and a midi footswitch/expression setup and you have that covered with the same setup.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

A modeling amp would be the perfect choice. You should check out the Fender G-DEC series. Its an outstanding all around practice tool/amp. I wish they had something like it when I was first learning.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
          How much do you want to spend?
          I am willing to spend right now around $800 total for everything but would like to get by with less if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            A modeling amp would be the perfect choice. You should check out the Fender G-DEC series. Its an outstanding all around practice tool/amp. I wish they had something like it when I was first learning.
            This is why I ask questions... I thought I had done my homework well yet I've never heard of this G-DEC before... Thanks for recommending it. I am researching it now but how does it compare to the Mustang series?

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              I agree with Chris. A good modeller, (Pod HD, 11 Rack, Axe-FX, Kemper) a set of headphones and/or some decent monitors (Mackie, KRK, Yamaha, etc.) will give you everything you are looking for. Then if you start playing out it's just a matter of grabbing a good FRFR monitor and a midi footswitch/expression setup and you have that covered with the same setup.
              I have a KRK Rokit 6 now. The Pod may be the only one in my price range. I've got to check and see if it does everything I want it to. Will I need anything between it and a FRFR or cabinet?

Comment

I always recommend a Line6 Spider Valve, particularly the latest MKII versions. I've got a MKI 112 combo, and a MKII head, and love them both dearly. You can pick up a MKI 112 for around $300, and a MKII 112 for around $400.
                "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                  I always recommend a Line6 Spider Valve, particularly the latest MKII versions. I've got a MKI 112 combo, and a MKII head, and love them both dearly. You can pick up a MKI 112 for around $300, and a MKII 112 for around $400.
                  Man, that's an expensive setup. I can't find one that cheap any where.... But another one that has a lot of features I wasn't aware of.

Comment

2nd hand prices are what I was referring to.
                    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      +1 best practice amp ever

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                        2nd hand prices are what I was referring to.
                        I couldn't find any second hand on eBay so it must be a treasured piece of equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                          +1 best practice amp ever
                          Hey Axewielder... Could you elaborate more please? I also found the Line6 Spider Jam that looks comparable but with a larger user community.

Comment

Just wanted to post a cool vid of the G-DEC I found in case somebody finds this helpful. This guy has a youtube channel that is cool and has a lot of vids.. .this is a two part review. Apparently he uses the G-DEC3 to make his vids and practice with. Plus he has a really cool So Cal.

Comment

That Line6 amp looks comparable, and I'm a big fan of their POD stuff. The main idea here is you want to have some practice drums and/or backing tracks going on. Those features are a lot more beneficial than nailing a particular tone when it comes to a practice amp.

Comment

Working...
                              X