I don't know why, but I'm itching for a new amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know why, but I'm itching for a new amp

Not replacing my DSL100 or Laney AOR50, but looking to add some new different tones.

Thinking maybe old school Mesa, or possibly the MTS line (mod'ing modules or making my own sounds fun).

I sort of shy away from the 5150 series because I'm not looking for uber-gain, but you never know.

Just a cheap $500-$1000 new flavor to add to the pallet.

Suggestions?

How much volume (watts) do you need?

Comment

Anything will do. I have tube amps from 2.5 watts (50C5 and 35W4 power section) to 100. I'm a bedroom hack.

Comment

If you go the MTS route it may be wise to use an Egnater chassis, it'll give you the choice of running Randall 1 channel or Egnater 2 channel modules
        (then again, the Randall stuff is going away for pretty cheap ATM, and it's possible to have an RM100 -only the RM100- modded to use 2 channel modules)
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

What is the name of the MTS forums? I need to check that place out.

Comment

I really want one of these mini JCM 800s...

http://www.premierguitar.com PG's Rebecca Dirks is On Location in Anaheim, CA, at the 2012 NAMM Show where she visits the Marshall Amps booth. In this segmen...
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

+ 1

i want the whole set for my studio work!!!!
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                What is the name of the MTS forums? I need to check that place out.
                Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS amps & modules. Forums for all aspects of amps plus Classifieds for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS amps.

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                I really want one of these mini JCM 800s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo2TDwMN7Tg

I think I've seen that 'Boobs' somewhere before

But all those Superdeformed heads and reissues, and still no love for the JMP-1, Jubilee and the 6100?
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

No, I'd gladly have a Jubilee. I still remember the first time I plugged into one back in 1987 at the West Covina GC. Love at first sight.

Thing that's been tempting me is this craigslist ad.

Mesa Boogie - $450 (Hermitage)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Date: 2012-04-07, 11:50AM CDT
                  Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber amp for sale. Good condition with foot switch! Killer clean tone, very nice overdrive from smooth to serious distortion! EL84 and 12AX7 tubes.

THIS WEEKEND ONLY: $450 FIRM
                  that is one hell of a price for a 50 watt Boogie!

Comment

try out the DC series Mesa/Boogies. I have a DC-5 wide combo that is bad ass and you can get them $500-600 range, Its 50 watts, 6L6 power, 2 channels great clean and silky lead, EQ, Reverb, boost etc
                    DC5medium.JPG
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

If you look around hard enough, you could snag Mesa Mk4 for under $1000. Lots and lots of tones in those. I sure miss mine.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                        If you look around hard enough, you could snag Mesa Mk4 for under $1000. Lots and lots of tones in those. I sure miss mine.
                        Funny, there a Mk4 in craigslist for $1050 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                          try out the DC series Mesa/Boogies. I have a DC-5 wide combo that is bad ass and you can get them $500-600 range, Its 50 watts, 6L6 power, 2 channels great clean and silky lead, EQ, Reverb, boost etc
                          Shawn,

I did do a search on the .50 and found some very interesting old threads LOL! But lot of them (Dreamland_Rebel in particular) said stay away from the 6L6 versions an stick with the EL84 versions. After being with the DSL100, having separate controls per channel as on the DC-5 is a nice feature.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                            Shawn,

I did do a search on the .50 and found some very interesting old threads LOL! But lot of them (Dreamland_Rebel in particular) said stay away from the 6L6 versions an stick with the EL84 versions. After being with the DSL100, having separate controls per channel as on the DC-5 is a nice feature.
                            Don, the DC-5 and .50 are completely different amps. The DC-5 is built only with 6L6's and I've had no issues with mine. I use it with a Mesa 1x12 3/4 back widebody ext cab...sounds huge.

one on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/MESA-BOOGIE-...item1e6cdc6edc

I have no experience with the .50 cal but I've heard some good things about them.
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Pepper Keenan used the .50 Cal for quite a while with COC.

Comment

Working...
                              X