G-Major 2 tone suck issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-Major 2 tone suck issues.

I'm having a hell, of a time getting my G-Major 2 to play nice with my amps.

I've tried it with my Bugera 6260, and Laney Ironheart.
    Both amps are serial loops, the Bugera is switchable, while the Laney can run at 0dB or -10dB

The G-Major can have it's input set to "consumer" or "pro".

Even with the unit in bypass mode, my low end drops out, and the tone becomes thin.
    I've tried both loops with just a patch cord, and there is no difference in switching them in or out, so I'm ruling out a problem with the loops themselves.

I've tried every input/output level combination.
    The only thing I've yet to try is something like EBTech's Line level shifter or some sort of buffer.

I'm not a "Tone Purist", and can live with a small difference in tone, but this is just ridiculous, I've never had a multi-fx sound this bad even when Bypassed.

My old GNX2 sounded better.

Funny enough, it sounds good between my recently re-bought, MP-1 and "insert any tube amp FX return".

By the by, (Did I really just say "by the by?!?), that MP-1 is so 80's but man does it do 80's well.
    I'm going to throw on some yellow parachute pants and play some Paul Gilbert licks this weekend.

Damm fine pre-amp.

Comment

Mine sounds great in the loop of my fireball. It took me while to get the levels right, but other than that......
      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I use a EbTech Line Level Shifter in the loop of my Cobra. Without it there's a bit of difference but it's not the night and day difference you describe.

Are the preset levels set to a lower level? I know on the original major all the presets were set a bit lower so when you engage the boost it brings them up to normal levels.

Comment

I just can't get this unit to behave with these amps in the effects loop.

It sounds great when I use my amp's power section only: MP-1->G-Major2->FX Return
          In that situation, I hear no real difference between the MP-1 direct into the FX Return, and the MP-1 into the G-Major2

Once I try to use the unit by itself, in the loop, using the amp's own pre section, then it all turns to crap. (BTW, I had the same problem with a Digitech GNX)
          I have a couple of Joyo Pedals that seem fine in the loop.

I think I like the MP-1 better than my amp pre's, so all of this may be moot, anyways.

Comment

Some amps just don't have user friendly effects loops. I have had several amps through the years that always sounded better with nothing in the loop. I have had amps that only pedals sound good and some where only effects processors sound good. Tone suck is a plague.

Comment

Oh..mine sounded hideous when I first hooked it up. I know you have to tweak the global input/out..for it to sound "normal" . Once My bud John and I did that, it seemed just fine. But not the way it came..it was literally unuasble.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Not familiar with the G-Major at all but it sounds like it's an input/output level issue. Most amp effects loops are set up to work with pedals. Some will have a level adjust that will let you match your devices. Also most devices will have a switch or software setting that lets you match those levels.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                X