Overdrive Boost for Peavey 6505+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive Boost for Peavey 6505+

Hey guys, I recently got a 6505+ and I've been playing around with the tone, while I've come close to the tone I'm going for (chuggy thrash-esque rhythm, neo-classical leads), I'm not quite there yet, mainly on the rhythm side of things. I see most people like to use a mild OD to boost the amp and tighten things up a bit and I was just looking for suggestions on what would be the best pedal to do this. The Ibanez TS9 seems to be the go-to pedal for this but I'm curious to hear what else works well.

This seems to be a pretty popular amp on these boards so If you guys don't mind sharing your settings that would be cool too.

Thx

There must be hundreds of overdrives in all different price ranges, just youtube it to hear some that you might have never seen before.

I have a Keeley modded TS9 that works great, it is as close to an industry standard as there probably is.
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

Maxon OD808: Watch Ola Englund demo the Peavey 6505 with an OD808.

Comment

I use an MXR Classic Overdrive with my 6505+. There is a switch on the circuit board that basically changes the sound between the MXR GT-OD and the MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive. You can usually find them on Ebay between $30-$40.

Comment

NONE...BBE sonic stomp in FX loop.

Better yet, 80's rack mount BBE 422.

TS-9s///SD-1 is passible but too much compression and loss of dynamics was a blatant issue. The 6505 has an excellent, tight ORGAINIC massive gain structure on its own.

ZW still uses his old DS-1 to record and live..but his MXR brings him coin...because it has a bullseye on it.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Agree - 6505+ sounds best without any pedals for most things. I'm not crazy about the sound with the BBE either to be honest. I do find that a good overdrive sounds awesome in certain situations though.

Comment

Currently torn between the TS9 and the OD808, unfortunately I can't try them both without buying them both and my funds are stretched pretty thin at the moment...

Comment

From experience playing both, I wouldn't stress too much about one or the other, especially with your intended usage (boosting an already overdriven amp). I have tried both through the same rig and you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference IMO.

Comment

Ola's settings for the Maxon: gain: 0, tone: 12, volume: max

Comment

I use a Maxon od808 but have used the ts9 and have been pleased with that as well. Od808>ISP noise decimator>6505+

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      NONE...BBE sonic stomp in FX loop.

Better yet, 80's rack mount BBE 422.

TS-9s///SD-1 is passible but too much compression and loss of dynamics was a blatant issue. The 6505 has an excellent, tight ORGAINIC massive gain structure on its own.

ZW still uses his old DS-1 to record and live..but his MXR brings him coin...because it has a bullseye on it.
                      +1 on the BBE 422.
                      -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Does the 6505 have about as much gain as a Boogie MkIII? Cos if it does I can't imagine what effect a boost would have. I tried some on my old Boogie years ago and I swear it made no difference at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                          Does the 6505 have about as much gain as a Boogie MkIII? Cos if it does I can't imagine what effect a boost would have. I tried some on my old Boogie years ago and I swear it made no difference at all.
                          It has an insane amount of gain but "boosting" it is more about coloring the tone and taking some of the "flab" out of the low end than simply trying to pump more gain through it.

Comment

If you have flab with that amp you need to look into retubing and a bias. I don't think a pedal is going to help you out.

Comment

Maxon OD-808 gets my vote. It just tightens up the low-end a bit, and makes heavy riffs on the low E cut a bit more when playing fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X