Best portable tuner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best portable tuner?

Long story short, it's been years since I've been in the gear "loop." After college and I stopped playing in a band I sold all my rig including my rackmount tuner. I still jam here and there but I don't have a portable tuner so I'm looking to get one.

I was looking at the Boss TU-12BW since I had a boss TU-12 like 15 years ago and loved it. I was wondering if there is any "best" portable tuner that I can keep in my case. Thanks in advance.

I used the TU-12 back in my band days, hated it. It's slow, you have to keep hitting the string, and with only +-1cent accuracy, you have to fine tune by ear when you're done. I have the Turbo Tuner ST-122a which is a strobe tuner. Super fast, super accurate +-.02 cents. It has a mic for acoustics and can be programmed for your open tuning of choice or just use the chromatic mode. I don't know how the wait is on it at this time. There is also stomp box version without the mic and is in stock. I've seen conflicting reports on its readability in sunlight so if that is a concern, The Peterson Stomp Classic may be a better choice. The Peterson is also a stobe tuner. You may prefer one display over the other so check both out on Youtube.

Comment

Check out the Korg Pitch Black tuner. Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but it's a pedal that has multiple display choices, good accuracy, and true bypass.

Comment

I guess I should get a new tuner. I'm still using my old korg tuner I've had for 26 years. Holy shit. Then again I use Floyds and the only time I have to tune is when I change strings.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. Also, has anyone used the Korg Pitchclip? It's really cheap but seems like it doesn't have any bad reviews I've seen. I really just need something to keep in my case to be able to tune up when I'm diddling around at home and keep me in tune in either standard or a half step down.

Comment

Turbo Tuner

Comment

I still really like the Boss TU-3.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

It depends what your looking for and how much money you wanna spend. I just bought a Snark tuner and I really like it. Its mainly just for kickin around the house....
                -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

I'm in the market for one too. I've never run a stompbox tuner so I'd like to know where in the FX loop chain it should be?

Comment

I run my korg pitchblack pedal right at the front (well on the occasions I use a wah, it's 2nd in the chain.) because it mutes when tuning so I use it as a killswitch for when I swap guitars and stuff.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

For setup and intonation I use a Peterson VS-1, but otherwise I simply use the tuner in my GT-10 or a Snark. I really like the Snark SN-8. Portable, quick, accurate, and cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                        because it mutes when tuning so I use it as a killswitch for when I swap guitars and stuff.
                        Love that feature on the Pitchblack.

Comment

For stomp box units Boss TU-3 and Planet Wawes tru-strobe are worth checking out. I keep tuner as first pedal in the input chain.

Comment

Working...
                          X