Alesis SR-16 Tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alesis SR-16 Tutorials

Anybody here know where I can get some tutorials on the Alesis SR-16 Drum Machine? I picked one up off CL for $25 and heard there were some video tuts out there somewhere but can't seem to find any. I emailed Alesis but never heard back from them... apparently they used to send out a free cd of video tutorials a while back. I would have thought they would be on youtube or somewhere but can't find any.

If they're not on YouTube, they don't exist.

I use to use one of those, and still remember a bit about it. Anything in particular you're looking for? Programming it is pretty simple, once you get rolling.

However, I'd suggest you first play around with various drum kits and the various patterns at various tempos. I got a million different songs out of that thing simply by changing kit pieces and adjusting the tempo.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      If they're not on YouTube, they don't exist.

I use to use one of those, and still remember a bit about it. Anything in particular you're looking for? Programming it is pretty simple, once you get rolling.

However, I'd suggest you first play around with various drum kits and the various patterns at various tempos. I got a million different songs out of that thing simply by changing kit pieces and adjusting the tempo.
      Nothing in particular Newc, I was just hoping to find some vids that will show me some cool tricks and features the directions leave out... The directions are pretty basic but as you mentioned I probably just need to play around with this thing to get familiar with it. What are you using now?

Comment

Now I use BFD 2. It's a software (PC/Mac) based editor that uses high-quality samples of real drums (as in, they stuck real mics in front of real drums in a real studio and had someone hit each one several times). Kinda like DKFH.

For writing my own drums, I either do it in Guitar Pro or in BFD, but the SR16 can trigger the hits via MIDI.

I've been slowly working on dumping the SR16's patterns and fills onto the PC as MIDI files through BFD, but it's a slow process.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I will say I wasn't happy with the SR16's limitations, such as not being able to assign tempo changes in a song, and step-editing only goes forward, not backward (so if you miss your target, you have to go all the way back around). That really became an issue when I turned Quantization off, since you can access every micro-beat of a pattern.

Comment

Thanks for the info... I'll have to check that BFD2 out.

Comment

Working...
            X