Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitech GSP 2101 + ADA MicroCab

Wow, I'm having so much fun.

My recent obsession with old pre-amp/ processors has ended up with me chasing down a few bargains and giving em a spin.
    Started with my re-discovery of the ADA MP-1
    Picked up an ART SGX2000 - unfortunately, I've yet to get this thing to sound good, so far, utter crap.

Now I've grabbed a Digitech GSP2101
    Wow, this thing is deep! I mean really, really deep.
    I've had my share of "PODS", GNX2, ect, currently have a GSP1101, however this thing is more tweakable than any of them.

It's rather difficult to program, but once you get the right mindset, it makes sense. You have to think about it in terms of a virtual patch bay, with effects and mixers needing to be connected.

It may be old "tech", but it's right up there in terms of sound quality.
    It's nice having an actual tube pre-amp as part of a Multi-FX unit.

I've been running this through my ADA MicroCab II into Reaper, and I'm really, really impressed.

Currently, I'm using my GSP1101 with Beta firmware "live" (For me, best modeler for live use I've found)
    I've gotten good results running the 2101/MicroCab II into a pair of powered monitors.

I wish Digitech would re-visit the 2101 and come up with an updated A/D - D/A signal path, perhaps combining a tube pre section, along with a modeler section.
    Last edited by 2Loud2Old; 05-18-2012, 11:13 AM.

cool. i am having equal fun running my ancient roland GP8 into the front end of my vibro champ head. sometimes the old technology can do cooler stuff....

in my studio, i am an avid collector/user of the digitech DSP16 multi-effects processor. you can't program shit on it, but the factory programs are VERY useable when it comes time to add reverbs and delays to instruments during mixing. i currently have 4 of them. i am also a big fan of the digitech studio series processors. i have the S100 and the Quad 4 in the studio. they are programable, but the sounds are still just a bit "grainy" to make them more "believable" in a mix. i have also used them in my guitar effects rack at various times...
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
      in my studio, i am an avid collector/user of the digitech DSP16 multi-effects processor.
      I'm that way with old Alesis Quadraverbs. I've got 4, and use 2 live. I stack them together and call it an Octoverb

Comment

Originally posted by 2Loud2Old View Post
        My recent obsession with old pre-amp/ processors has ended up with me chasing down a few bargains and giving em a spin.
        Started with my re-discovery of the ADA MP-1
        Picked up an ART SGX2000
        Now I've grabbed a Digitech GSP2101
        "PODS", GNX2, ect,
        Well, still on your list should be:

Marshall JMP-1
        Hafler Triple Giant
        Carvin Quad X
        Soldano SP-77
        Peavey Rockmaster
        Kitty Hawk Quattro
        H&K Acces
        Engle 530
        Groove Tubes Trio
        Jackson JX3
        Rocktron Piranha

Not to mention the more expensive ones like:
        Bogner Fish
        Mesa Triaxis
        Soldano X88r/X99
        Egnater IE4
        CAE 3+ (SE)
        VHT GP3
        Engle 570/580
        Brunetti Mille

"There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I saw a Hafler T2 for a decent price, but I don't know what to expect in terms of sound.

I've also come across a Rocktron Pro Gap, heard it was one of the better SS pre-amps.
          I'm going to jump on a Peavey Tube Flex, supposedly the Ultra channel is a killer on these.

We're talking like $300.00 or less, for this kind of gear, so playing around is kind of fun.

All part of my quest to build a completely ridiculous rack.
          Why? ' Cause I have nothing better to do lol

Comment

There is a dude in the Muskoka's selling a Soldano Sp-77 that has been modded by Bruce Egnater to have a master volume and an extra gain stage. I had that preamp, its badass as hell
            Out Of Ideas

Comment

I had a 2101 for a while, and they are powerful from a programming capability standpoint - I had 6 EQs piled into one algorithm

However, it actually took that many to get the same sound as my MP-1/TSR12 rack combo, since each unit has its own EQ (and operate on two slightly different EQ ranges).

Still, with a preamp section that is basically the ADA MP-1, plus Digitech's established effects section, dual S-Discs allowing for smoother patch-changes, and the nerd-like programmability, the 2101 was probably their best one.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
              X