Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for any marshall yjm owners out there

Hey Guys,

I have a YJM 100, which I love the tone but I would like more gain...anybody out there experiment with adding an overdrive on top of the built in overdrive or use something on the clean side?:think:
    Just thought I would check and see if anyone has any experience with this amp..................Thanks MM

I don't own a YJM but I was at NAMM back when Marshall released it a couple years ago. That amp is based on Malmsteen's earlier non-master volume Marshalls. Using an overdrive or distortion pedal with those amps is common. Which one to use is up to you. There are so many pedals available that you can go crazy trying to figure out which one. I went through the same thing with my Marshall Randy Rhoads amp. I have a ton of pedals around here ranging from a $39.99 Boss DS-1 up to boutique stuff like a Paul Cochrane Tim. I even tried a vintage MXR Distortion +. So far the one I like with my RR amp is the Fulltone OCD. If you're after YJM tone you may want to start with the old DOD pedal he used and go from there.
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

I had one of those YJM DOD overdrive pedals for a while and it was killer! I bet it would nail the Yngwie tone through that amp.

Comment

I'd start with the DOD YJM308 Overdrive. I think that's what YJM uses.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
          I don't own a YJM but I was at NAMM back when Marshall released it a couple years ago. That amp is based on Malmsteen's earlier non-master volume Marshalls. Using an overdrive or distortion pedal with those amps is common. Which one to use is up to you. There are so many pedals available that you can go crazy trying to figure out which one. I went through the same thing with my Marshall Randy Rhoads amp. I have a ton of pedals around here ranging from a $39.99 Boss DS-1 up to boutique stuff like a Paul Cochrane Tim. I even tried a vintage MXR Distortion +. So far the one I like with my RR amp is the Fulltone OCD. If you're after YJM tone you may want to start with the old DOD pedal he used and go from there.
          Thanks to all for the replies....I wanted to make sure that it is understood that the amp already has the yjm dod overdrive built into it from the factory but it is not enough gain for my taste...Thanks MM

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
            Rudy, this head has one of his OD pedals built in.

MM, if you want to keep the tone but get a bit more gain look in to the MXR/CAE 401 boost pedal. It will give you up to 20dB of clean, and most importantly, flat boost.

Alternatively, look at one of the Wampler stomp boxes. They aren't cheap, but are well designed and built. The SLOstortion will give you SLO style tone and gain with the YJM set fairly clean, plus it also has an independent clean boost that can give you more gain when everything is turned up to eleven.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              Rudy, this head has one of his OD pedals built in.

MM, if you want to keep the tone but get a bit more gain look in to the MXR/CAE 401 boost pedal. It will give you up to 20dB of clean, and most importantly, flat boost.

Alternatively, look at one of the Wampler stomp boxes. They aren't cheap, but are well designed and built. The SLOstortion will give you SLO style tone and gain with the YJM set fairly clean, plus it also has an independent clean boost that can give you more gain when everything is turned up to eleven.
              Thanks!!! Great advice looking at the SLOstortion pedal now!! Thanks again..........MM

Comment

Belonging to the various Malmsteen forums over the years, I can tell you the debates of what pedals Yngwie has been using in addition to the DOD250, YJM308 have raged on for years. Tube Screamers, all sorts of additional pedals have been discussed.
                Check out the Metropoulos amp forum threads, I am yngwie308 there, even though I had at least 100 posts deleted through a rogue mod at one point in ancient history, there is still sufficient data there...
                http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16626
                http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13770
                Read through all of this and you will find out tons of data..
                Yngwie doesn't actually use the built in YJM308 circuit of his signature amp. And he still uses his discrete Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor.
                Of all the newer plexi style/ artist based 100W heads, the YJM100 is closest to a real 1959 that has been slightly hot-rodded.
                The upcoming Friedman Steve Stevens 100W twin channel amp is going to be the real deal though!! Mark my words fellows, that amp will take all sorts of pedals, but straight in it is extremely tasty..Yngwie has been using stock Marshalls since the first started and SS has also been using basically stock plexi's, Parks and metal front Marshall's. SS always wants just a touch more gain and that will be one of the killer features of his new amp.
                Emerald
                http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html
                http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Elect...veStevens.html
                http://www.garymoorefc.com/guitars_heritage
                http://www.garymoorefc.com/guitars_hamer

Comment

Working...
                X