which amp should I buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which amp should I buy

I have a problem. I been looking for a amp for a few months now. My heart was set on the carvin v3m but then I found this amp. A Bugera 333xl amp. now I can not decide on which one. I like sound out of the Bugera better then the carvin just from watching you-tube videos but the amp is made in china and I do not like buying things from there. It is not a price issue and it's for home use only. What do you guys think. Thanks

Isn't the 333XL just a knock off of a Peavey XXX or JSX? I think I read that somewhere, but obviously take it with a grain of salt. If that is the case though, and you like the tone you could look into one of those and buy American.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Just buy the Marshall DSL.

It had to be said!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post

It had to be said!!!
        If you do, you will get ALL the Blowjobs. Every one. Atleast thats what the Marshall forum tells us.
        Out Of Ideas

Comment

Do some research on the Bugera before buying. I am pretty sure that there were quality issues with them. The v3m looks like a great deal but it doesn't seem to be a good low volume candidate for bed room practice. I just started looking at the Dr. Z amps and they seem to be well built and more suitable for low volume practice but less features and more money.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post

It had to be said!!!
            I have over 500 likes because I'm a bitch for the DSL
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
              Ummmm... Rudy... You may want to rephrase that a bit. Think of the other DSL reference. And the previous reference to blowjobs.. Just saying..
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

And for the OP... I never played a V3M but the 333xl I played didn't impress me that much. I went to Sam Ass(hole) to check out a XXX and a JSX. The 333xl was hooked to the matching cab which was pretty small and I think the cab was the problem. Pretty flat sounding. So was the fact that I was in Sam (Jack)Ass. I played the XXX and JSX, they were OK. I asked if I could play the DK2 on the wall as it matched most of the specs I had on my guitars at the time, he gave me a LTD SG EMG-HZ guitar with a baseball bat for a neck and walked away. I asked if I could try the 333xl through a Marshall 1960 close by and he never even came back over.. Fuck that place.. But I'd definitely try one out of you can before buying it. The ones on CL seem to be around a while before selling. If I remember right, the problem with them was the molex connectors burning up. Easy repair to solder the leads straight to the board and the later ones had that done at the factory. Good luck.
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

i personally never buy from china, period. but i must admit the bugera sounds decent on youtube. id go for any of the american made amps, so many to chose from in the low budget range, i fell in love with the jsx when i played it i recomend you give her a go if you want to stay around the 1k mark, the carvins also sound really nice(on youtube anyway). if price isnt an issue i highly recommend a markV, it does everything you'll want at any volume level.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                    Ummmm... Rudy... You may want to rephrase that a bit. Think of the other DSL reference. And the previous reference to blowjobs.. Just saying..
                    I'm assuming you have not seen the funny YouTube video from where all these references came from put in DSL and Marshall Forum and watch the video for a Marshall amp recommendation. It's actually funny if you're into amps
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                      sounds like playing the DSL will make you stupid
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Between those two, I would pick the Carvin, mainly because I've heard of Bugera's blowing up and Carvin's seem to last a lifetime.

In that same price range, check out the Orange Tiny Terror or even the Dark Terror.

Comment

V3m.

Comment

Go with the Carvin

Comment

Any amp is subject prone to failure, but I think China gets a bad rap because they are mass producing most of the amps and/or the components for many brand names out there, so their ratio of failure and reputation for reliability issues/problems is higher than than say a manufacturer that prides itself on USA made like Carvin. While Carvin is mass produced, it is not as all encompassing as all the other amp manufacturers who choose China for some or all of their production.

Obviously, its completely up to the manufacturer as to where the amp and its components are made, and the guidelines of quality over the manufacturing.
                              Most any amp maker has to find the line between profit and quality relative to what goes into the production.

So , that said, I share your sentiments on a preference for buying manufactured goods that were produced outside of China.
                              That doesn't mean you won't get a good sounding name brand amp from China. You can find very good sounding Chinese made amps and or Chinese made components in good sounding name brand amps manufactured outside of China.

I just bought a Hughes Kettener; engineered in Germany but manufactured in the good ole PRC.
                              The Blackstar I just received is MIK. If the amp manufacturer is sensitive to general public opinion about Chinese reliability, they will go to the length of choosing another place to state where they were manufactured.

Bugera is made by Behringer. Behringer makes decent products on the more budget side of things. They kind of developed a bad rap for some of their production, deservedly. You get what you pay for can apply.
                              So, in wanting to try the amp line out, I purchased one of the Bugera 1960's brand new when they were being blown out @MF for 250.00 back in 2011. Though I would have preferred a 1990 I own several JMP style heads that I would rather not have gigged out. I also didn't want to fork out for a reissue at the time.

I could not be home to receive it within the present shipping schedule and I didn't want it left on the doorstep for hours so I arranged a different day for delivery where I could sign for it. Ten days later a full rig pulls up into the parking lot and the driver delivers it into my house. The package weight was 55lbs. MF choose to use freight shipment instead of the typical UPS delivery. Long story short, amp powered up but had zilch output. Probably an output transformer. Sent back, no replacement. (though I probably would have tried one if they had them in stock)

Bud of mine owns an Egnator Tourmaster he bought reduced as a demo unit with full warranty from Guitar Center. These amps are manufactured in China. Great amp but with some reliability issues reported with the OT.Well, his went out so I loaned him my Peavey XXX while he has his out for service. He road gigs and has a road case, takes care of his stuff and has not had any problems since. (this was last summer)

So, its hit or miss, the vibe of reliability is much the same as it is with computer components and where they're manufactured. Odds are in favor you won't get a lemon, but should you be in that boat, you want to have a return policy with a store or a warranty in place that allows for the least painful way to deal with any potential problems.
                              Btw, the Peavey is beginning to develop a switch problem but the amp itself has been very dependable.

(note, I really hate the editing feature in the forum, why it acts up at some times and not others, I don't know)
                              Last edited by charvelguy; 06-14-2012, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X