Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to power a speaker cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to power a speaker cab?

I have a POD 2.0, a Behringer V-amp Pro and a Digitech RP350. I use the Digitech the most because it has built in drums and metronome. I love the way it sounds coming through my KRK Rokit 6 but I would love to send it through a speaker cab. What would be options for doing this? My goal someday would be to get a low watt tube head for bedroom play so getting a nice cabinet now would be beneficial.

A second question would be should I get two 1x12 cabs or one 2x12? My modeling processors have stereo outs so it would be cool to play in stereo. As far as I know the 2x12s are not going to allow me to play stereo.

Basically to sum it up I just want to get maximum power and tone out of my modeling processors and be prepared to someday get a low watt tube head.

if you want it to sound like it sounds through your KRKs, you gotta go with a full-range system - basically build a mini-PA. get a crown power amp (wattage is your choice) and a couple of PA cabs...or even better, get a pair of the mackie pwered PA cabs and use those.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Good to know Mark. What if I use a guitar cabinet... Would it sound worse?

Comment

Get a Tech 21 powered cab.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisf View Post
          Good to know Mark. What if I use a guitar cabinet... Would it sound worse?
          my experience is that those modellers don't sound as good through as guitar cab. i used to use the line 6 HD - the head version of the 2.0 - and it NEVER sounded as good as 2.0 through studio monitors. i HAVE used my 2.0 in the loop of my egnater tweaker (the POD output into the return of the loop) that runs a rivera 1x12 cab with an EVM12L. it was ok at best....the tones had EQ issues - either too bright/brittle, too woofy, too middy...not sounding ANYTHING like the tones i had programmed. i have created new tones, specifically to be used with the egnater and they are okay, but they aren't neccessarily "rectifier" or "jcm800" like because i have the influence of the egnater's power tubes.

hope that helps....
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Were you using the Direct Out to the power amp or the Amp Out?
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

direct with the AIR turned off and cab models removed. at the end of the day, fucking with the POD as a "live" preamp never sounded as good as my vintage fenders or my riveras.
              GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

You can always plug into the FX return of an amp.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The more I research this and want an effects processsor and a tube amp for the best price at bedroom levels the more I keep coming back to the Peavey tubed Vypyr.

Comment

A 212 can be wired for stereo as long as the speakers match the output of the amp(ohms). You could easily get away with something like a microtube from ADA or a rocktron velocity. If you need tubes maybe a mesa 20/20.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisf View Post
                      The more I research this and want an effects processsor and a tube amp for the best price at bedroom levels the more I keep coming back to the Peavey tubed Vypyr.
                      The other guitarist in the band I'm in has the 65w (maybe it's 70) Vypyr. He used it in practice a couple weeks when his half stack was acting up. He swears by it for a bedroom amp, and it sounded great in practice.

Comment

If you really insist on going with 12" cabs definitely go with 2 separate ones and not a 2-12 cab. With the speakers being so close to each other, in the 2-12, the stereo separation that you hear will suffer. At least with separate cabs you can turn them and move them apart. You'd probably be amazed at what a huge difference that makes in the final sound your ears hear.
                        In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

I'm starting to lean towards powered PA speakers or a PA system... Should I do the powered speakers or passive ones with a power amp? I'm thinking with my iPad and iPod etc., the speakers could double as a way to amplify them when I want to listen to music around the house or at a party.

Comment

I'd say go for the powered speakers option rather than an amp and passive speakers. And if you want to use them as a PA for anything else there's plenty good quality small mixers you could add to that in the future

Comment

Working...
                            X