Speaker swapping/testing opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker swapping/testing opinions.

I did some speaker swapping and comparing with what I have on hand and have some opinions if anyone is interested.

I have a old Carvin 4x12 (matching slant cab to Dave's (MOSHWITZ) straight cab in the other thread), the old Carvin that I cut into a 2x12 (the exact straight cab in Dave's pic), and a Randall R212CS with the mic eliminator plate (4/16 mono, 8 ohm stereo). I have (4) 4 ohm G12T-100, (2) 16 ohm V30, (3) 16 ohm G12T-75, and (4) 8 ohm Eminence OEMs that I've resigned to saying they are from a Genz-Benz cab.

So here's what I wound up with..
    *Carvin 4x12 with (2) V30s and (2) G12T-75s in an X-Pattern wired for 16 ohms mono.
    *Randall 2x12 with Eminence OEMs (Genz-Benz) with mic eliminator plate for 4/16 ohm mono or 8 ohm stereo.
    *Carvin 2x12 with G12T-100s wired for 8 ohm mono.

(This is all with my Randall RM100 with JF Trilogy, 59RR and stock 1086)
    I like the full sound of the 4x12. That's really the best way to explain it, Full.. Seems like it would work for any style. Tight bass but can loosen it up without getting real flubby. Great down tuned too. Mids are focused and full, not muddy at all. All the highs you could want and more.

The Randall is where I'm pretty surprised. Those Eminences sound almost exactly like the mix of G12T-75/V30 in the 4x12. I had both going next to each other and moved back and forth between the front of each. Other than the highs being slightly harsher on the 4x12, they are exactly the same tone. I never realized how full the Eminences sounded. I really like both of those cabs now.

Sadly, the Carvin 2x12 with the G12T-100s was the loser by far. Sounded really scooped (they're made that way) but also really thin. Lots of smooth low bass, but mids and highs really lacked any character. May try it with some Peavey Scorpions in my Renown. But that one is a cab stand for the Randall right now..

That's it for now..
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!
Working...
X