Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Pedal for Metal and Clean Boost

Hi All,

This is kind of a spin off of my YJM 100 thread but wanted to grab attention.......Any of you had experience with the SLOSTORTION pedal vs. say the Humphries modded MT-2 SLO-Diezel which claims to also have a clean boost....The thing is I would like the clean boost to keep the tone intact but also have the ability to get the gain needed to play speed metal, modern metal etc....
    Any advice would be appreciated also other pedal recommendations would be appreciated I just hate to experiment with 200 plus dollar pedals...thought some Bros here might have some insight.

Thanks MM

Any tube screamer will be a great clean boost. I use a Maxon OD808. To be clear, you want a clean boost and something with a lot of gain?

Comment

Barber Launch Pad. 20db of clean boost, extremely quiet, a great pedal.

Comment

This is another option, I have no experience with the overdrive section, but the clean boost is fantastic...

http://www.customaudioelectronics.co...prod_id=prod26
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

There are tons of OD and Distortion pedals on the market. What I found out by trying some out is that what sounds like crap with one amp may sound fantastic with another. If you need a pedal that has both a boost and OD, that MXR/CAE 402 posted above is a good option. Another one that is good but is expensive is the Paul Cochrane Tim. This one I found out worked better on amps like my Metro (Marshall clone). The other two pedals that I use with my Marshall or Marshall style amp are the Fulltone OCD and the Retro-Sonic 808. The Retro-Sonic is a high quality tube screamer type clone. Neither the OCD or 808 have a separate boost though.
          On my other amps which have plenty of gain I don't use additional OD/Distortion pedals. They just don't need it. Too much distortion makes the sound get lost in the mix. Amps like my Bogners, Bad Cats, Soldano, etc... Don't need them.
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Well what I am trying to get across is the best pedal to use on top of the built in yjm overdrive in clean boost mode but then also with the same pedal be able to set the yjm to clean and get a much heavier distortion for heavier metal tones...in my other thread the slostortion was recommended as having a good clean boost and also a slo type distortion when running the amp clean...I just wanted to hear other options as well...I noticed for instance, Humphrey mods a Metal Zone with a clean boost and SLO plus Diezel type distortion...I was wondering has anyone had experience with this pedal or others...basically I want clean boost to retain the YJM tone but also the option to set the amp clean and alter the tone for much heavier metal............I know the SLOstortion would provide plenty of gain but I am unsure of the voicing.. I don't have any experience with Soldano and I do like the scooped mid sound so that is why I was asking about other possible pedals.........Thanks Again.........MM
            Last edited by METAL MANIAC; 06-27-2012, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I see what you're trying to do. I dont have any experience with the pedal you asked about. The MXR/CAE is an option however. Or, you could get a separate boost and then stack your favorite distortion pedal too. The MXR/CAE pedal is available without the OD section, just a simple clean boost. I have that version on one of my pedalboards and use a Fulltone OCD as the distortion pedal. I can click on one or both as needed.
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Chavelfan View Post
                The R key on your keyboard was out for cleaning that day, eh?

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                  The R key on your keyboard was out for cleaning that day, eh?

I'm gonna go with he's originally from Beantown!
                  I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                    This is another option, I have no experience with the overdrive section, but the clean boost is fantastic...

+1 on this.

The OD section is honestly pretty bad, it is neither a nice and smooth OD like a TS type, nor a snarling distortion like a Rat. The Boost section instead is the best I've found so far in a pedal, so much so that in my rig I keep it mostly on. Which means I need another boost pedal to boost the boosted tone!

Comment

If you want just a clean boost the mxr micro amp is great. I had the slostortion a while that I used with a clean amp as a small grab and go solution. The boost is strictly clean boost and is very very good. It's a great pedal, I just didn't need it anymore after I found a 2 channel amp I liked. I think they nailed the voicing on it it really does sound similar to a slo. You can scoop it but it doesn't get into the super-scooped range, it's been a while since I've played a real slo but from what I remember the slostortion eq had much more range then the amp itself. The CAE line driver is another great clean boost pedal, it's basically just the boost section of the boost/od pedal the other guys are talking about. If you are looking for a TS type pedal check out the hardwire tube overdrive - that's a GREAT TS style pedal with more options.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
                        +1 on this.

The OD section is honestly pretty bad, it is neither a nice and smooth OD like a TS type, nor a snarling distortion like a Rat. The Boost section instead is the best I've found so far in a pedal, so much so that in my rig I keep it mostly on. Which means I need another boost pedal to boost the boosted tone!
                        I had one of those a couple years ago. The boost section was indeed awesome. The OD section wasn't so great. It wasn't the worst OD ever, but it was lacking something.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X