non-budget wireless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-budget wireless

ok, so i'm thinking about going wireless again, but I haven't had good experience in the past.

I find it hard to play if I can hear it affecting my sound in any way- I had a cheap line 6 before (can't remember the model but it was about £120) and no matter how I tweaked things, it always seemed to suck tone.

So now I'm wondering if a budget of around £500 would get something genuinely good. I'm quite ok with using a cable if that's not gonna happen btw, but I'd imagine the technology has improved...?

I've heard good things about the new line6 stuff - 'better than a cable' etc. but I'm looking for 'the same as a cable'...!

so I'm considering:
    line6 G50, Sennheiser EW 172, or Shure SLX, or anything else good quality.

Anyone who also hates wireless sound like any of these? Or should I just watch my feet and stick with the cable?

thanks in advance,
    C

I've been using a Sennheiser EW172 for years. Excellent unit and doesn't alter my tone at all.

Comment

I use the line 6 g50 and have been very happy with it. I think most of the 'better then a cable' comments come from it's so clear that it is actually a toucher brighter then using a cable. It's pretty much the same as using about a 1 foot cable and it has a cable tone feature to simulate, basically add capacitance, to sound like a cable. I think I run mine at the 2nd setting to match my cable tone. I run the receiver right on my pedal board and it's been a great solution for me. It's the first wireless I've been happy with.

Comment

Another happy Line6 G50 user here.
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I have AKG wms40 Pro Flexx that I use that doesn't affect the sound. I paid $200 for it about 4 years ago. I really like, but I don't have anything else to compare it to.
          Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
          Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Wow, thats interesting, when MF blew the line 6 wireless stuff I was really on a ledge on getting one but then I read reviews. I'll have to look at them again as it seems they revamped.
            Interesting modeling the cable tones. Tech always leaving me behind in my gear knowledge - which is why I come here.

Comment

The line 6 stuff they were blowing out was probably the version right before this. The FCC changed some rules and they could no longer use those frequencies in the US. They did make some other changes as well but the big one was the frequencies it uses.

Comment

I use a Line 6 G90 and.....

Is actually better than a cable IMHO!

Comment

I used to use Shure on tour but I always had problems with it. I was going to switch to Sennheiser but after all the raving about the Line 6, I think that is going to by my new wireless. So my vote goes to Line 6.

Comment

Another vote for Line6. It sounds better than my cable does.
                    H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

It has simply awesome reviews all over the net and with players. I have yet to find a bad review. Mind you the G90 is well over $600 new but it easily holds its own against units double that price.

And you can run two beltpacks which we all know is brilliant when playing live.

Comment

Yeah, a lot of good reviews for the line 6 stuff. How sturdy is it though? Bearing in mind it's likely to get hit with a cymbal, dropped etc at various points over it's working life. Is it all metal? Agonybrian, what model Shure? what kind of problems?

I don't mind spending significantly more to get good gear- like I said, I don't NEED to go wireless, and I'd rather spend £5/600 on something that works than £300 on something less than perfect... I'm just a little worried that the good reviews for Line6 are due to the price point- anyone tried the Sennheiser and went for the Line 6 because it works better for example?

I'm not sure what shops near me stock the higher end stuff to let me try it out...

Comment

My G50 transmitter must have at least fall a 100 times on the ground. Got a few scratches but it's still rockin'!

The casing is all metal with some rubber parts. Same for the receiver.
                          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I've been very happy with ny Line 6 G50.

Comment

Working...
                            X