No announcement yet.

Help me spend $650 to improve tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine takes pedals just fine. Tube screamer, boss chorus, boss flanger, even my Metal Zone but I mostly use the on board effects. Sounds very good for such an inexpensive amp. The 40XL has more balls but you were talking low volume playing and this anp is outstanding for that but can actually get pretty loud if you want to crank it up. The 20XL can be had for under $200 and the 40XL for under $250, even less used...fantastic deals!
    "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
    ENGL Powerball II
    Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
    Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
    Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
    1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
    1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
    2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
    2011 Jackson DK2M Black
    1987 Charvel Model 2 White
    2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
    1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
    1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
    2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
    2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
    2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
    2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
    2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
    2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
    2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
    1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Happy Birthday.

There's plenty of peeps out there gigging with 5 watt amps. There's a number of small tube amps now available and they're all cool in their own respective company. Some of them have power switching in the output stage so you can go 1w, 5w etc. Most are two channel footswitchable.
      You can buy a combo 6505+ pretty much new for 450 on ebay.

If you want flex in your tones, modeling amps are the way to go but how they sound in a live situation or how it cuts mic'd if you're going to gig with it is another thing.
      For indoor lesson/jams, the roland cubes are ok IMO. I tried the mini portable when they first came - which is cool for what it is. I had used a cube 20 at a jam and I felt quite limited but I didn't use any pedals.

Go to Guitar Center and Music Go Round and try a bunch of stuff out, I probably wouldn't buy anything right away either unless it really slammed with first impressions, especially if its new.
      The Spider 4 I've seen going for about 99 (maybe even 79? I can't recall exactly ) on MF blowouts.
      Last edited by charvelguy; 07-04-2012, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X