Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put Tung Sol 5881's in my Fireball. HOLY SHIT!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put Tung Sol 5881's in my Fireball. HOLY SHIT!!!!!!

My god did these tubes wake this thing up! I loved my Fireball as soon as I got it. No frills in your face gain machine. I was however having problems cutting through with a whole band. Typical Fireball problem. I read somewhere that 5881's in a fireball would take care of the issue. So I bought a Tung Sol 5881 duet. It took the Engl type gain that was already there and gave it this mid range growl! I've done quit a bit of experimenting in my days with different tubes in different amps and got to see the differences from tube to tube, but I have never heard such a dramatic change. Mind you the 6L6's that were in there were Boogies, which I'm not a fan of unless they are in a Boogie, but I didn't think they were spent. Now, I didn't have it re-biased yet. I just wanted to her the difference. I used it at rehearsal last night and now I'll bring it to my tech to re-bias and maybe put in bias points and a trim pot on the outside of the chassis so you can get to it without pulling the chassis out. I'm in love with this thing all over again.
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Thats awesome Jim. I just picked up a 2006 Single Rectifier. Hands down, my favorite of all the Boogies. I remember how good the one you had sounded. This one sounds just as good.

Comment

Hell yeah they do when I had my Savage 120, I took Bill's(Horns666) advice and I replaced all my tubes with Tung Sol's and it was crushing after I got the Bias dialed in. pick up a Weber Bias rite.

http://taweber.powweb.com/biasrite/br_page.htm
      if you have a tube amp they are absolutely the thing to have

MOSHON
      DAVE
      "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Yeah John, I wish I had that one back. What are you running it through? the 5150 cab? Those heads love vin 30's. Dave I actually have something just like that. My tech told me they're not too reliable, but I think he's just trying to give himself job security. I'm going to go dig it out plug it in and see what it's coming in at. I'm not sure if it's because they're Tung Sol's or if its because there 5881's, but it sounds amazing.
        "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I am running it through the 5150 cab locally and my trusty 1960B cab in New Jersey. The 1960B has T75's in it and it sounds incredible.
          The 5150 has stock Sheffields in it and I think it actually sounds better than the Marshall cab.
          Its a great no frills high gain amp with that super handy solo boost feature. The amp has so much sustain I don't use delay or reverb with it.
          For Fools Faith metal I have the gain on the red channel at about 2 o'clock!
          I tried with with V30's and its just a little too sizzly. The Sheffields really seem to balance it out. I am using it Saturday night at our gig at Hards Corner.

Comment

Hey is that the Fireball 60 or 100? Got me thinking about Engl again I had a Fireball years ago and always liked that amp.

Comment

I love you too!!!!

I wouldn't put JJ's in my pooper.

Ummmm, well..I wouldn't.:think:
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Tung Sol tubes kick all kind of ass!! JJ tubes can`t hold a candle to them, not even close. JJ tubes are weak and Tung Sol tubes will rip your face off.

Comment

I will have to try some Tung Sols in my Laney. I am happy with the JJ's in my Hughes and Kettner. They tamed that amp, as it was pretty harsh (I am also now running Greenbacks as opposed to 75s, so that helps too) and I wouldn't trade that setup for the world. But the Laney didn't take so well to JJs (atleast in the power section. I dropped in some TADs in the Power section for the time being with JJ preamp tubes and it sounds excellent, but I'll try some Tung Sols in the power section just for fun haha)
                  Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                    I will have to try some Tung Sols in my Laney. I am happy with the JJ's in my Hughes and Kettner. They tamed that amp, as it was pretty harsh (I am also now running Greenbacks as opposed to 75s, so that helps too) and I wouldn't trade that setup for the world. But the Laney didn't take so well to JJs (atleast in the power section. I dropped in some TADs in the Power section for the time being with JJ preamp tubes and it sounds excellent, but I'll try some Tung Sols in the power section just for fun haha)
                    I better clear up what I meant exactly. I use Tung Sol pre-amp tubes only. I don`t have any experience with their power tubes, but I imagine they are great as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X