Building a new rig and new some guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a new rig and new some guidance

Hey guys. I'm building a new guitar rig. John Mayer and Keith urban have always been a huge influence on me even though Ive been into 80's rock for most of my life. I'm branching out and am looking to get more into song writing and have always loved there tone. Unfortunately I know nothing about that type of gear. . Aside from the strats... Could you guys point me in the right direction of some great amps and effects that could help me get those kinds of tones. Not looking to replicate there exact tone.
    Last edited by rhoadsfan11; 07-08-2012, 10:28 AM.

I was going to type a bunch of stuff, but a video says a million words. Both of these guys have monster rigs, so it's hard to replicate all their tones without using the same gear. It might be easier for people to make suggestions if you ask "How do I get a similar tone to song x?" Covering all the bases will require a lot of gear. Or an Axe-FX or something similar.

Last edited by Hellbat; 07-08-2012, 10:58 AM.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Hey thanks a lot man. Your right I'm looking for a similar tone that Keith has on "till summer comes around" I was thinking a fender twin with a strat, some reverb delay and chorus... But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Comment

seriously, in all my years of playing and getting together different rigs i have found that a guitarist that wants to get a more "mature" tone HAS to have a fender amp. be it a twin, a bandmaster, a bassman, a tremolux, a showman...anything that was made by fender in the 60s will get you there. after you have THAT platform, it is just a matter of adding the effects you need to get you the rest of the way.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

So a fender twin should get me there?

Comment

i do not know the specific tone you are chasing, but yeah - twins are GREAT workhorses.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Keith plays a lot of fender teles, such as the custom shop 40th anniversary model and some vintage gibsons. I have seen him play a Jackson live before too.

He also plays a lot of boutique amps as well as some Marshall's I think.
              Jackson KV2
              Jackson KE1T
              Jackson KE1F
              Jackson SL1

Comment

Keith owns and has played a Jackson PC1 live many times too!

Comment

There's always this:

Sounds pretty close to me.
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Working...
                  X