Need help on choosing a first tube amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
    If this is the case then you may want to wait until your there, or be careful of what you get because getting it to Germany may be a hassle. I guesing a half stack will cost more than half of your budget just to ship it to Germany.
    Shipping cost isnt a issue,ill put it that way.
    I want a guitar made of ALL abalone. That would be badass. All shellfish should die for my shreddage delight.

Guitar Guy 22345762.9 is Jarek...like from Subway.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
      So you have no problem cutting through everything with this setup?

I ordered the Dark Terror and the 1x12 cab... is it enough to cut through double bass drums with 2 1x12s? If that's a yes, I'm ordering a second 1x12. lol
      I've been using this setup for years now, and I've never had to go above 75% volume to be heard - and I seem to make a habit of gigging with LOUD drummers!

EDIT: and yes, that includes double bass drums
      Last edited by skullfunkerry; 07-28-2012, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
        Just remember that, with tube amps, Watts = headroom, not volume.
        With solid state, watts definitely equals volume, and that OP's post asking for 100w or more is more or less normal because he's used to solid state amps.

My advice, especially since you aren't currently in a band, is to get something in the 25-50W range.
        50 tube watts is enough to power 2 4x12's and cut through triggered double bass drums and play a small to medium sized club and not need to be mic'd.

25 tube watts is more than enough for a band rehearsal in a studio.

EDIT: And, apparently 15w is enough for live performance with a metal band if that amp is an Orange. I've seen blues and jazz players play through 15w combos mic'd up, but I would never expect that the 15w Dark Terror was capable of more.

Originally posted by skullfunkerry View Post
        I've been using this setup for years now, and I've never had to go above 75% volume to be heard - and I seem to make a habit of gigging with LOUD drummers!

EDIT: and yes, that includes double bass drums
        Well, I guess I bought more than I had bargained for. I didn't expect that it would be powerful enough for that. Good to know. I may yet get a 2nd 1x12 for mine. I may just get that second 1x12 so I can have a cab for home and one for practice.
        Last edited by xenophobe; 07-28-2012, 02:14 PM.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Did anyone mention the Carvin v3? You can adjust the head 25, 50 and 100 watts...
          Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
          Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

that sounds nice to have.
            I want a guitar made of ALL abalone. That would be badass. All shellfish should die for my shreddage delight.

Guitar Guy 22345762.9 is Jarek...like from Subway.

Comment

Working...
            X