Sovtek Mig 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sovtek Mig 60

A guy wants to trade me a 90's Sovetek Mig 60.
    Any one have one or know the pros or cons?
    I have looked at YT and checked out sites but I would like to get a answer I can trust.
    I know a bit of the history of these amps now but anyone have any real world experience with one?
    I like the fact it has a master vol and a gain control.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Cool amps. I had a Soldano SL 60, and we liked the sound of the Mig 60 better in a blind taste-test. We dialed them in very similiar. Basically as close to VH as possible of course. Yeesh this was early 90's.

An old friend still uses and records with his..always slammed with a TS-9, or 808. He has a Triaxis set up and a early Dual Recto. But His Sovtek is his "go to" amp.

They were silly cheap then, approx 250 bucks when new. If in great shape, and sounds fine. They could be as reiable as any amp. Very no frills tube amp. If you like it, you could have a friend for life. If not, I'd prolly pass because you could be stuck with it. Those amps are underrated and never had resale value last time I checked.

What's the trade?
    Last edited by horns666; 07-21-2012, 02:44 AM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have a Sovtek Mig100 and it does the old Marshall sound very well if you run a dirt pedal in front of it. Getting a crisp clean sound out of it is a bit tough. It's by far the loudest amp I've ever used. I had it completely rebuilt. The guy I got it from tried fixxing it with a bunch of silicone. I bought it cheap and put a lot more in it. Reliable as hell and heavy. I found a Genz Benz El Diablo and have been using it now because I can get the Marshall sound and a great crisp clean sound. The Sovtek is my back up and as soon as we ever do any recording It will be used then. Mine had plastic jacks and switches I had them leave the 2 switches in as they worked fine but all the jacks were well, jacked. Awesome amps if you want the Marshall sound.
      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

It does have a JCM type sound but not exactly a Marshall sound.
        Pretty thick sounding really so I think I will like it.I do Know the pots are metal and have brass shafts so thats a good thing.Will have to check the jacks because I have heard some had plastic jacks and that was the only weak link to them.
        I'll check it out tomorrow when I pick it up.
        Pretty spotty info on these so filtering thru the BS info links to find real users has hard.
        Bill I will be on the better end of this deal.LOL

Comment

Yes, I was merely generallizing on the Marshall sound. I also had the same trouble finding any info on Sovtek. Super secret shit evidently. I still like the tone I get from it just like having a multi-channel amp better. Good amps in my opinion.
          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Seem to have a solid rep as far as durability.

Comment

OK got it home and now and getting a look at the guts.
              Not too bad just dusty as hell but cleaned all that.
              Checked the tubes all are JJ's.Its all hand wired, board looks good all jacks are metal and not plastic, a win!
              The wiring looks like it was done very well.
              Fuses external and internal all look good. Everything fires up OK so later tonight I will give it a test drive.
              All you amp guys might like these pics so have a look.
              '

Last edited by straycat; 07-24-2012, 11:47 PM.

Comment

I don't no what to say other than holy shit! What a beast of an amp.
                Low input side wow nice Fender-ish cleans with the ability to get a nice nasty pushed Fender sound.Pedals drive it over the edge like a Princton being maxed out.
                The presence control is very good on this side of the amp nice sparkle I'm impressed.
                The high input side is a very different story flat out mean sounding way more gain than you need IMO but nice to have if you need it.
                This amp has more bass than you need too it can shake pictures off the wall so again nice to have it in reserve as well.
                No OD pedals needed on the high input side its already there.Gain on 4 and you are in the nasty gritty JCM 800 area.
                The presence control on this amp is the best I have ever heard so much control in the range of sweep.
                Not saying is just like a JCM 800 because its very different but it sure can get the same sort of grit and growl.Just a different flavor.
                Its a bad ass mofo of a 60 watter I'm very impressed with it.Almost has a plexi vibe to it IMO.
                Reacts to pick attack quite well too and like I said it shines with pedals on the low input side.
                Next test is to run an attenuator and push it harder and see how the amp responds.
                Last edited by straycat; 07-22-2012, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Great news!
                  Thanks for the detailed gut shots.
                  Nice work.

Comment

YW Cyg I figured you would ask for gut shots.
                    I will find the sweet spots given time but so far I'm real happy with it.
                    Its a quiet as a mouse too very very little hum at idle.
                    Very loud but sounds great at low volume too.

Comment

Ah, there it is. That brings me back. I'm glad you like it so far. I did too. Once you dial it in..throw in some Tong Sols or Sovteks 12ax7s for shitz N' gigs. Especially, if ya got any layin' around.

Great pics man. I could practically smell that amp from here.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill its one hell of an amp.It may end up getting a gig shot here soon.
                        Thru my Sound City 4X12 with 30's watt Eminince's it wails.
                        Going to try it thru my Jackson 4X12 tomorrow with 4 50 watters.
                        It has IT whatever IT is!!
                        Yeah its going to get some Sovtek tubes when the time comes I have a lead on some old NOS ones.
                        Maybe put some in to cut the pre amp gain some to help the low input side to get more chime.
                        It ain't going to be lacking gain thats for sure.
                        Last edited by straycat; 07-22-2012, 10:21 PM.

Comment

NICE, i had one of those back in the day or maybe a MIG50?... I thought it was a great little amp, didn't think it had a lot of gain but nailed AC/DC, & early metal tones perfectly. It was great with a push from an OD box, they are also easily mod'd i was told. for rock i thought it was great, just plug in and GO.

Comment

I had a Mig 100 years ago and it was an absolute monster as far as volume went. It did that one sound very well and very simply, but the one I had didn't sound as good as the Marshalls I had. I wish I had messed with it more. I think those amps have some real potential.

Comment

I have spent more time with the 60 and its really pretty versatile, nice cleans, tons of smooth bottom end.
                              Found some nice sparkle too which I hadn't heard in my first test drive.The presence control has a nice sweep and I found the sweet spot for sparkly cleans.
                              It loves time based effects as well, My EH memory boy sounds very good thru the 60.
                              Need to try an EH micro POG and EH holy grail or cathedral pedal and see how adding more time based effects react with the 60.

Comment

Working...
                              X