Peavey Triple XXX 6ow combo review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Triple XXX 6ow combo review

Just picked one up. 1 x 12, 60W 6L6 power tubes, 12AX7A preamp tubes. 3 channels, clean, crunch and Ultra.
    Very nice effects loop, reverb, 3 button switch that channel switches and turns the loop on and off. All 3 channels have seperate EQ's and the amp has a master volume. Clean channel EQ is passive, the crunch and ultra EQ's are active so they are more like a parametric EQ. Very reactive.
    Stupid loud, very clear. I have a 5150-II half stack and my opinion is that this is basically the same amp but in a 1 x 12 60w combo. Its a heavy sucker though. It weighs at least 60lbs so its not a small 1 x 12 combo. Nice thump. It has a 3 position resonance switch in the back, loose, medium and tight. Really makes a difference. Takes the amp from a classic rock sound to a modern metal sound. Regarding gain... I play metal so I like alot of gain. I have the crunch channel gain at 12:00 (half up) and the ultra channel at 3:00 and there is enough gain to play anything. I only use the ultra channel for solo boost because each channel has a separate volume control in addition to the master volume. The loop has both send and receive level controls which is VERY handy. The amp is Made in the USA and built like a tank. It has bias test points on the back and an adjustable bias control!! How cool is that. Peavey really put alot of thought into this amp.
    I have been told that it is just about identical to the JSX and thats why they stopped making it. To my ears... it sounds more like the 5150. I would say that a player could gig with this amp no problem. If it was mic'd you could play anywhere.
    It was obviously designed as a live amp but don't let that fool you. It sounds really good at low to moderate low volumes.
    I bought it on an impulse buy. I don't need it but I notice that since they have been discontinued for a while now they are harder and harder to find. I also heard one live a while back and I thought it sounded really good.

Thanks for the review! My local shop has one of these and I've been seriously considering it to replace my old Peavey Stereo Chorus, which unfortunately the volume control has been kicking out on certain volumes. I've got a POD HD going through it now so I can control the volume through that. I really should replace it, but I just can't seem to let it go. This sounds like it will be a great replacement, especially if it sounds good on low volumes because I really only play at home now.

Comment

I love my XXX, I have the 120 watt head. Svetlana EL34's and Tung Sol 12ax7's. A gain monster for sure. I prefer the EL34's and the Tung Sols smoothed out the gain a bit to my ears. The new Peavey 3120 is the XXX in a re-designed shell.

Comment

Played both of those heads. The XXX at a Play it again music in Minneapolis through an older Marshall cabinet and the 3120 in Guitarget in Des Moines through a cheap cabinet of some sort, can't remember what brand. The conclusion I came to while playing through the Marshall cabinet was that the amp had a lot of growl, grunt, ah, I can't really explain it but it blew me away. The clean was a little iffy for me but who are we kidding it was built for metal. It was proof to me that any head has to have a good cab to sound awesome. The 3120 at GC sounded terrible. Great buy sir.
        I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Yea, the jury is in and the verdict is that this amp kicks bigtime ass for a 1 x 12 60w combo. Most of us could gig with this amp no problem.

Built like a tank and as heavy as one too. I am going to be putting casters on it. Its entirely too heavy to lug around.

Comment

Working...
          X