Modeling vs Tube amps live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by javert View Post
    About the whole volume thing, one thing to consider is that if you take the same sound a play it louder, its perceived characteristics will change due to the nonlinearities of the human auditory system. For example, it usually leads to a perceived loss of low and high end when something is played back softer than it was produced for. Similarly, high frequencies that may be inaudible when played back at bedroom levels may become audible when the volume is cranked to band practice or show volues, and hence the sound becomes "shrill". This is why many high-end stereos have some form of loudness equalization/compensation built in. This is, though, well-known and should also be done by modelers, but I don't recall seeing any settings about playback SPL, so it probably isn't at the moment.
    This probably has a lot to do with the perception of modelling having bad sound. If you set up all your patches at bedroom levels and then use those same patches without tweaking at stage/peformance volumes they are going to sound like canned ass for sure.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
      This probably has a lot to do with the perception of modelling having bad sound. If you set up all your patches at bedroom levels and then use those same patches without tweaking at stage/peformance volumes they are going to sound like canned ass for sure.
      These are facts..

Whhhaaaaaasssssaaaaaaap Hellbop!

...Fellas...???
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

that is true, but it also leads to the conundrum of modelling amps. they are designed to be jack-of-all-trade tone tools. it would be a pain in the ass to be rehearsing with the band and have them all playing while you tweak your tones at stage volume - especially if you plan on using multiple amps throughout your set. if you were to use the modelling amp as a single tone generator, as you would a tube or standard SS amp, then you are selling the product short...

in the end, unless you have VERY understanding bandmates, it STILL comes out better just to buy a tube amp!!!
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

That's true, but something like loudness compensation wouldn't be all that complicated to implement. What you would need to do would be to switch some global playback SPL or something like that - or change between some predefined levels like "apartment", "mom's basement", "garage rehersal", "club" and "Madison Square Garden" Very few would need the last option...

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
            it would be a pain in the ass to be rehearsing with the band and have them all playing while you tweak your tones at stage volume
            You need to do this regardless of whether or not you're using SS or tubes.

Many tube amps sound like shit. It's funny when people are talking about this "oh yeah, solid state sucks" and then they bust out a $4000 boutique tube head.

Yeah, well your brand new GT Mustang, SS Camero, SRT8 Challenger, whatever... They suck balls and will get smoked by my Jaguar XKR.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post

Many tube amps sound like shit. It's funny when people are talking about this "oh yeah, solid state sucks" and then they bust out a $4000 boutique tube head.

Yeah, well your brand new GT Mustang, SS Camero, SRT8 Challenger, whatever... They suck balls and will get smoked by my Jaguar XKR.
              Yes, this..^^^

Actually whatever I play sounds the same. Just smaller and bigger versions of my poop.

From my kid's Line 6 spider II to my Ubershall..Marshall...6505...ect.

I like my Marshalls best. I haven't heard anything to this day to think otherwise.

Also..bring on that Jag.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

yes, many tube amps DO sound like shit....

oh, and my cadillac STS with its new STS-V engine might give your XKR a run for its money
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

MOSHON
                  DAVE
                  "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Originally posted by MOSHWITZ View Post

MOSHON
                    DAVE
                    'Sup..!!! I'm tryin' to Ketchup (sp?..rhyme?)..

Dave..you fuck!!! ...like a Tonka Truck!...

I'm just poppin' in and out ..like sour kraut (sp?..rhyme?)...:think:

Ok, I'm losin' my edge at "freestyle". I gotta polish up my -Italian Ice- alter ego.

I blame the xannax.

I love you.

Billz

Comment

Ah Billz. It always warms the cockles of my heart when you drop in for a visit. I would buy an -Italian Ice- CD in an instant. If you have a merch website, I'd order a T-shirt! You could put "Other side ya dumbfuck!" on the back.

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                        oh, and my cadillac STS with its new STS-V engine might give your XKR a run for its money
                        Hahaha, nah, I'm pretty sure you would easily smoke me.

I'd have to upgrade to twin screw SC to maybe beat you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                          which is exactly what jg used to explain to all us plebs back when he was spruiking his Vetta II
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Yeah, but I think most people are aware that the characteristics of their tube amp changes with volume (e.g., when the power amp starts to distort), so they're used to having to tweak their sound accordingly for their tube amps. At the same time, they're likely also compensating for the perceptual difference caused by the loudness change.

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
                              Yeah, but I think most people are aware that the characteristics of their tube amp changes with volume (e.g., when the power amp starts to distort), so they're used to having to tweak their sound accordingly for their tube amps. At the same time, they're likely also compensating for the perceptual difference caused by the loudness change.
                              No matter what anyone likes to think... You can't do your own soundcheck if you're the one playing the instrument. Someone else has to do it, or have to have someone else play.

Comment

? ive been using modelers for 10+ years now. Never had anyone tell me anything other than "you have great tone". I just look at it as a tool,, nothing more or less. Ive seen people fuck up plugging straight into a jcm800-> 4x12, and seen great tone from numerous other "shit" amps- crate, line 6, etc.

Bottom line is, if you have a clue playing live and setting up your tone, you can make anything (relatively speaking) sound good.
                                Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X