Modeling vs Tube amps live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
    which is exactly what jg used to explain to all us plebs back when he was spruiking his Vetta II
    And I did have great tone. The problem was it was very hard to hear live. When I was the only guitar player it was no problem but as soon as another guitar player with a tube amp started playing I disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by clifffclaven View Post
      ? ive been using modelers for 10+ years now. Never had anyone tell me anything other than "you have great tone". I just look at it as a tool,, nothing more or less. Ive seen people fuck up plugging straight into a jcm800-> 4x12, and seen great tone from numerous other "shit" amps- crate, line 6, etc.

Bottom line is, if you have a clue playing live and setting up your tone, you can make anything (relatively speaking) sound good.
      Yes and no to this response.

Yes, you probably have great tone. No, you need a proper rig in order to sound good live regardless of whether you have experience playing live and setting up and amp or not.

Comment

The main problem I see constantly is the that the "tube only" guys say solid state sucks because they couldn't set one up properly to save their life. They shit on what they don't understand.
        My Toys:
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
        '94 Dinky HX in Black
        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
          The main problem I see constantly is the that the "tube only" guys say solid state sucks because they couldn't set one up properly to save their life. They shit on what they don't understand.
          Not necessarily.
          Same can go the other way.

Everyone knows I'm a tube amp nut, but there are many
          situations where I prefer SS amps.
          Same with active and passive pickups.
          They each have their place, just have to know how to dial them in.

Comment

i just happened to have started with a tube amp, so there is a certain sag and note bloom i came to expect. there is a SS amp i DO like because it has the right feel...the ampeg VH140C. most others have seemed "stiff" when it comes to the feel...
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Axefx, Kemper and 11r all sound great to me. I personally wouldn't think I'd use them live but I'm old school with a small stash of some nice tube amps. It is what I know and how to use, the responsiveness to touch, the feel ans the warmth. I know how to achieve that with tube amps. I don't have the ates modellers liek the fx of kemper but would love to some day...maybe when one day when I downsize.

The modellers have come a long way since the POD, they're just tools used to get the job done just like any other piece of gear. Just use what you think works best for you. I don't see the need for tube vs modeller camp was any more as I honestly believe the majority of people would not know the difference or hear a difference between the two as they are getting that good.

I know one thing, I can get a usable tone out of just about anything, J-Station Modeller, Rockman, PoS SS Charvel practice amp or of my amps.
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Personally, i think the live experience goes by so quick for most of us it doesn't matter much, at least not enough to fuss obsessively over. Unless you have your own complete PA at every gig it's always going to sound different. Most listeners won't notice what kind of rig you are playing through, ...or care.... The mix is controlled mainly at the board so whoever isn't loud enough can be made loud enough, or the other turned down ect.
                IMO personally i would lean towards using what is easiest and most convenient. And the less shit i have to carry the better. I prefer the Axe FX over a SS type like combo amp or head. The Axe sounds better to me, like tube. I could be just as happy with a tube head or the Axe FX with either a tube or SS power amp live, same playability sound and enjoyment factor for me.
                Live is fleeting and forgotten in peoples minds unless the drummer pukes during his solo, or you shoot flames from your guitar..Save the mojo tones for recording.
                But saying that, until the AxeFX came about, i would personaly always have preferred tube.
                Last edited by Trem; 09-01-2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Found this on youtube. Answers some questions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf6F8...feature=relmfu

Comment

Originally posted by P I K A View Post
                    Found this on youtube. Answers some questions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf6F8...feature=relmfu
                    It depends on what the questions are. I have a POD XT Live and I downloaded a few patches directly off of the tone locker online and I can get a fanstastic recorded tone on the computer and thats oldschool compared to the mighty Axe Fx. What I am talking about is live onstage in a club setting... not plugged into your computer or mic'd into your computer.

Comment

• I was skeptical of the SpiderValve too at first... but with a little tweaking, it can sound good and cut through just fine... not shrill or muffled, as a matter of fact I never need to turn it up past 9 o'clock. The secret, simple as it is, roll that presence waaaaaaaaaaaaay back. I get compliments on my tone pretty frequently, its far from the best but pretty repectable for what its coming out of. Beings that this is about live stuff, I submit proof:

(from a crappy camera, and mind my playing, Im by far not the greatest out there )

Solo is around 2:25 if you didnt want to listen to the song.
                      Last edited by RobRR; 09-01-2012, 09:59 PM.
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

• Always a pleasure to see fellow JCF bros perform live!

Is that one of the "group buy" RR24Ms?

You look like a Jersey bruiser all right, plus your performance poops all over my most recent one!
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

• Yeah man, and to think at first I didnt even want it because we were supposed to get the white ones. Turned out to be the best playing and sounding guitar Ive ever laid my hands on. Its just "the one" if ya know what I mean, and will always be with me on stage. She now sports 2 white EMG's.
                          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

• no problems hearing that, Rob! Came through on rhythm, harmonies, and love the big fat note you end the solo with. Epic
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

• I also like that your solo is about 25% of the total song!
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

• Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                                I also like that your solo is about 25% of the total song!
                                Beat me to it. Its nice to hear a nice involved long guitar solo that includes all the good stuff. You are so friggin Jersey bro!

Ringwood NJ representing here. FOOLS FAITH www.foolsfaith.com

Comment

Working...
                                X