Boom Just sold some shit and bought a AXE FX 2!! Opinions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boom Just sold some shit and bought a AXE FX 2!! Opinions needed

SO i accumulate a lot of damn gear with all the trading/buying/selling i do.

finally decided to dump the Lower hanging stuff like wayne says and get some good shit. so i bought an AXE 2

now i have to get a power amp. SO what do you guys have with your axe units?

Kev you have a power sub right?

Some people say good solid states work nicely and other say the VHT 2:50:2 is great way to go on a 2x12 cab.

Thats probably what ill get if i go cab route is a Over sized recto 2x12

signed up on the axe forums as well.

Keep us apprised; I was just talking with my co-worker (bass player) about the Axe-FX.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I wouldn't be overly worried about which power amp you pick. Get a Carvin or *insert your favorite boutique brand*. I don't think it would make that much of a difference. Yes, the tone freaks will notice that the world is exploding or not, but not many others will.

And Grats! Post pics and a full review please.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Way to go Bob! I am glad you were able to grab one. You're going to love it. I have a QSC K12 and think its great. truth be told I haven't tried it with anything else, but did a ton of research while I was waiting for my Axe Ultra to show and everything pointed to this or the FBT Verve 12ma. I couldn't get the FBT because its from Italy and all sold out at the time so I went with the QSC and have been very happy with it. I just did a quick search now and the QSC K12 is still a popular choice. Let me know if you got any questions. Their pedal board is awesome too!'

Kevin
        "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Congrats on the Axe II! I hear a lot of good things about the Matrix GT800FX working well with the Axe Fx.

Comment

I'm using a nice cheap Rocktron Velocity 100 into a Greenback-loaded Marshall 412. It kicks MUCH ass! 7.00 is pretty awesome too.

Comment

After reading jg's thread, you must not be playing live?
              Last edited by DonP; 08-18-2012, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I decided to go the full range flat response path and got myself 2 QSC K-12's. Loud as all hell and sounds great. I use to do the poweramp/cab thing. The only problem with it was that everything sounded the same because of the characteristics of the cab. When I switched over, it really opened up the possibilities.
                Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

I have an Axe Fx Ultra and when I first got it I ran it through my Mesa 2:90 power amp and Recto 4x12 cab. Then I got a QSC HPR121i powered box and that sounded better. So I run the QSC powered box. Others liked the FBT which I think came out later. Anyway since then I've picked up another QSC box and all I need is two mic cables and in two seconds I'm hooked up in stereo at 450w per side. Plug the guitar into the front of the Axe Fx and I'm rockin' out!
                  I'd recommend the powered wedge. Oh, and congrats on the Axe Fx II
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by nateb View Post
                    The only problem with it was that everything sounded the same because of the characteristics of the cab. When I switched over, it really opened up the possibilities.
                    This nails the reason you want to go FRFR with modeling. If you are just using the modeler to give yourself a couple sounds like "Clean" and "Gain" then power amp/cab will do you. But if you want to be able to pull off Fender, Vox, Marshall, Engl, etc. you need to have a speaker/amp combo that can reproduce all of the frequencies. If you would prefer to avoid powered monitors, get a solid state amp with tons of power and grab yourself full range passive monitors to go with it.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                      This nails the reason you want to go FRFR with modeling. If you are just using the modeler to give yourself a couple sounds like "Clean" and "Gain" then power amp/cab will do you. But if you want to be able to pull off Fender, Vox, Marshall, Engl, etc. you need to have a speaker/amp combo that can reproduce all of the frequencies. If you would prefer to avoid powered monitors, get a solid state amp with tons of power and grab yourself full range passive monitors to go with it.
                      There are two more reasons.

1) Carrying around a 100 lb cab + 100lb refrigerator rack + guitars VS Carrying around a 3-4u rack + 20-30 lb monitor + guitars. The portability and setup time is nothing anymore. With my old setup, it would take me 20-30 minutes just to get things setup and debugged.
                      2) The footprint during transportation and setup.
                      Last edited by nateb; 08-18-2012, 04:32 PM.
                      Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

OUTSTANDING Bob

before you get too used to the sound make sure you update to the latest firmware, it has a couple cool tweaks and a new parameter revealed in the amp section....good stuff from what I've read.

I use a Carvin DCM1000 and I can beat up 4 4x12's no problem. but like has been posted If you want to really utilize the potential get a FRFR rig. If you do go with a amp/cab,, do yourself a favor and pick up some good studio monitors to play around with also, so you can play around with the multitude of Cab IR's out there.

Oh,, and just to get it out of the way,,,
                        ,,If you By chance,, you find it to be way to much or just,,,,whatever,,I'd like to call first dibs when you go to trade it off

Enjoy brother it's a great piece of gear

MOSHON
                        DAVE
                        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          After reading jg's thread, you must not be playing live?
                          Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                            Ouch.
                            Yep, big ouch. I would have responded sooner but I gig almost every weekend in my metal band or my classic rock band with my real tube amps so I have been a little busy. My computer stuff stays home.
                            And.. to respond directly.... if he is playing live, he is one of the 1%'rs!!!!!

The other 99% are killing it with real amps

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                              Yep, big ouch. I would have responded sooner but I gig almost every weekend in my metal band or my classic rock band with my real tube amps so I have been a little busy. My computer stuff stays home.
                              And.. to respond directly.... if he is playing live, he is one of the 1%'rs!!!!!

The other 99% are killing it with real amps
                              I'm not getting involved with this one. I'm neutral in the tube vs solid state discussion. And, I already have a full on flame thread going.

Comment

Working...
                              X