MIDI users - controller for my drum module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDI users - controller for my drum module

i have been wanting to experiment with some more electronic based music for some time. i have several drum machines and electric drum modules in my studio, but i am looking to get a midi controller to "play" them easier. i saw that akai has the MPD18, which is pad oriented. that seems to be the MOST logical, but i am also wondering if there would be some advantage to having a keyboard-based controller instead.

i am also wondering if using a drum pad system, like the simmons SDMP1, for its pads would be better?

as of yet, i am not using drum software even though i am running a full protools system. i am looking at some, but my goal is not realistic drum samples - i have a real drum kit and killer mics for that. i am after crunchy, dirty sounds and looping...

thanks!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

The 'problem' with MPDs is that you're gonna run out of 'kettles' very quickly

lessee for a 'basic' kit what you would use

BD=1
    SD=1
    HH=2
    Crash=1
    Ride=1
    Toms=2

so at least 8 pads are already gone for just the bare necessities

The problem with keyboards is -among other things- the feel in itself
    Also: you can have 25/37/49/61/76/88 different drums loaded, but forget your fingers stretching more then 10 (white) keys to hit that flam at the 13th in time
    (though with a few years training that wouldn't be too hard )
    And then there is trying to get a normal flam or double bass accented on one key

I've used the pads on my buddy's Akai MPK49, which (though needing hard hits) are a lot better (natural) to operate, than the keys on my Roland D-50 keyboard
    then again, a keyboard may also give you the advantage of using software synthesizers for other things than just rhythms
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

yeah, i would run out of pads if it weren't for the sequencers ability to "record" over itself...luckily, i can play some parts, reloop and add parts without erasing the previous parts.

after a bit more research, i have discovered that the MPD18 doesn't have standard midi jacks anyway, so it's out. so now i am looking at one of akai's higher end "combo" controllers with keys and pads, though i may just end up with the simmons unit because it is cheap enough to experiment with. the sucker is only $69 and it has 10 pads....
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Another thing with keys is that you can use it for more than drums. Like if you wanted to add strings, piano, etc. And you could probably pick up a hardly used one for cheap from some wannabe dubstep dude who gave up or needs drug money.
        Reading Slash's book, he said all the strings and orchestral stuff on Use Your Illusion 1&2 (like on November Rain) were all midi programmed by Axl with controllers. I thought that was pretty interesting since I figured they had a (somewhat) unlimited budget and could hire whatever they wanted to record that kind of stuff.
        Last edited by Codex; 08-23-2012, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X