No announcement yet.

It's on the way! Axe-FX 2!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know I just need to pull the trigger on one of these. It is my dream rack unit. I'll need to sell 2 or 3 guits though, never a good thing. I've got a Peavey/Yamaha PA system all set up just waiting for it. I guess it would be considered a flat frequency response setup.

Comment

Or you could just not buy new (old) ones for a couple months...

My new Strat has pushed my Axe-fx dreams back a few months itself.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Alright, finally stopped the experimenting and decided to let loose tonight. Dialed in a sound that suits my style for the most part and played along to some Randy stuff, Crowley, GBTR, oh and the tribute version of Children of the Grave, and some other stuff.

First thoughts... badass! Period.

Second thoughts... at first something just didn't sound right, I couldn't pin it down, after much reflection it ended up being ME. So used to my old gear, I had been over compensating on certain notes and chords that they just plain sounded stupid played through the AXE II. The note definition and ability to separate single notes within more complex chords on this damn thing is simply amazing, and anything odd will and did pop out in my playing. So, I was able to dial myself down a bit, and it was fucking butter after that.

Third thought... it did not respond as well to slamming the input with a compressor as I thought it would. In the end a little more tweaking and I didn't miss it anyhow. Old habits die easy tonight, I'm soooooo damn stoked!

Next up, more tweaking for my sounds, and hopefully getting to the Yammy with the piezos that I keep saying I'm going to do.

Comment

Did you check out the Atomica model? Pure GOLD!

Comment

I haven't gone to 8.0 yet the Atomica High is really the only thing I'm interested in trying, how does it differ from the Cameron Lead that's already in there(which is one of my favs)
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Its a great rig for the studio or home use.

Its probably the ultimate rig for jamming along with your favorite bands.

One of the guys I saw that had one live I recently saw again live. He was playing out of a white Splawn Quickrod Half Stack. I asked him where the Axe FX rig was. He told he its at home. He uses it to jam at home and record with. He told me its the best recording rig he has ever heard. I can believe it. In his opinion (this guy is a total pro player) its just not cut out for live use and just doesn't cut through a very heavy mix.
              BTW... his tone was absolutely crushing beyond belief. The Quickrod is an incredible amp.

Comment

That sounds to me like either inadequate amplification/speakers or a bad dialed in setup. Just like an amp, or a preamp/poweramp combo (which people have been using for many years live) it's all about dialing in the sweet spots and having the volume to carry it. It makes no sense to blame the preamp in that case.

Comment

They can cut live. I'm really tired of hearing they can't.

Comment

Haters gonna Hate

MOSHON
                    DAVE
                    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Originally posted by MOSHWITZ View Post

Haters gonna Hate

MOSHON
                      DAVE
                      I know.. I really need to get my head out of my a$$ on this thing! There seems to be more and more endorsers and pro's who are users.

Comment

I think some of us just hear things differently. Im not a hater but im not in love with the sound from the Axe FX even after messing with one the other day, I have some toys on order for now; and maybe down the road one of these but for now im good with traditional stuff.
                        Haters gonna hate
                        Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

I don't see how any guitar player not like the sound. What was the setup? And what was the firmware version? What kind of sound were you trying to get out of the unit?

Comment

Its not that its unpleasant there is just a lack of organics to it no matter what I have heard it through or whose samples I have listened to. The only one I like was olaenglund's stuff on youtube.

It just simply sounds to my ears digitally compensated as opposed to organic. Which in reality it is.
                            Haters gonna hate
                            Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Ok, which version of firmware was on the one you were messing with?

Comment

Originally posted by Evol View Post
                                I don't see how any guitar player not like the sound. What was the setup? And what was the firmware version? What kind of sound were you trying to get out of the unit?
                                I loved the sound. It was amazing. The guy was using a Mesa Boogie Power amp, Marshall 4 x 12 cab and the Axe FX. His sound was awesome. I even went up to the stage and told the guy how amazing his guitar tone was. It was perfect. This was during the sound check when they were getting levels at the board. This band had another guitar player playing a 6505+ half stack, the bass player was one of the best I have ever seen that wasn't famous and the drummer killed. During the sound check, all the instruments were balanced nice. The 2 guitars were perfectly balanced. When the band started playind the guy with the Axe Fx rig was very hard to hear. He even commented that he had a problem hearing himself on stage. The sound guy mentioned that he hates when modeling rigs are mixed with mic'd tube amps.
                                He wanted to mic the guy but he insisted on running direct. Maybe that was the problem. I bet you guys are all correct.. that user error is why modeling rigs like the Axe FX don't sound good live but thats sort of my point in all this. Because they are so complicated, its just too darn easy to sound crappy live. There are just too many options, features and settings and if any of them are off you sound like canned ass.

I can't tell you how many times I had to show players how to set up their Boss GT6 or 8's or how to get a Vetta to sound good live or a POD XT Live. Heck, I even had Behringer 2 x 12 combo sounding pretty good live. Just click the wrong button and you go from sounding good to canned ass. Its pretty hard to make a Marshall or a Rectifier sound bad live. You could dial in a Peavey 5150 with your eyes closed.

Comment

Working...
                                X