3/4 Channel Tube Amp Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/4 Channel Tube Amp Suggestions?

I have been looking for a three or four channel tube amp head that can do descent cleans (does not have to be Fender-ish), medium gain and all out high gain, with a tight chunky umph. Would be nice to have reverb, solo boost, 50W-100W and midi switchable. Just need an amp that can cover a wide range of covers but still cover metal.
    So far I have only played the Mark V for 1 1/2 hours. Really liked it! Also considering the Marshall 410, Mesa Roadster (not really a recto fan) and 5150 III. Are there other 3/4 channel amps I am leaving out? What about some of the Bogners? I am stretching my budget to meet the price of the Mesas and Marshall. What about any of the lower price amps with loads of features (Egnator)?

Thanks!
    No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

I don't know if the new Legacy III from Carvin is midi or not but it might be worth checking out. Engl's would be an option but would probably come in over your budget too.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks! Midi is one of the "nice to have" options but not a deal breaker. I had forgotten about Engl...even if it is out of my price range.

Comment

Savage 120 hits all your checkboxes I believe. Possibly the Steve Morse sig as well. They have so many different heads!
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Ask Toejam about his Carvin V3. I jammed with a guy that had one of these and it did a bunch of different stuff and did metal well. He did change tubes out to 6L6's.
          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Randall RM100
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Mesa Road King. Done deal
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Marshall JVM410.

Comment

The Carvin has Midi in and thru.
                  My hair is on fire!!!!!My hair is on fire!!!!!!
                  Marshall 2205, 6100, 6100LM, JMP-1, EL84 20/20, VHT 2/50/2, Marshall 1960A & B cabs, '79 Strat, '84 Pacer, '98 Wolfgang, '08 Charvel San Dimas x 3.

Comment

Line 6 DT-50 might work for ya. Try one out - you may pleasantly surprised.
                    Last edited by chrisolson; 09-16-2012, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr View Post
                      Marshall JVM410.
                      That is one that I am planning on trying. The Marshall and Mark V are at the top of my list. Need to do some research and see what owners of the 410 think. For better or worse, my ears are use to my 5150 (with BBE 422) so that is sort of my high gain bench mark. Any experience with the Marshall JVM410?

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                        Randall RM100
                        Yep, the RM100 is a good choice that will fit the bill. For a Bogner that does everything listed, try the Ecstasy. Expensive but everything it does it does very well! One of the very best amps out there. I would look for a used one as the prices are much more reasonable than new.
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

5150-ii

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            5150-ii
                            I was thinking about a 6505+. Not a three channel amp but I could turn the crunch mode on and off with the footswitch so it would be somewhat of a three channel. My 5150 head is at our practice place so I tried this with my 5150 combo (my bedroom amp). I set the eq controls without any consideration for the high gain channel and tried switching between the clean and crunch mode. Still have to back down the pre and roll back the guitar volume to get a somewhat clean sound and still have a medium gain sound in the crunch mode. You know....and I am not ashamed to say it, those damn Peevey 5150/6505 amps are not bad. There, I said it....bash away.
                            I will definetly check the Randall & Ecstasy out online and see what shops in Atlanta may have them.
                            Thanks for all of the suggestions, this is going to be a hard decision.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                              Randall RM100
                              Yup..
                              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                              X