Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
    KEEP THE 5881s !!!!!!

Congrats John..How are gettin' along with the XXX ?
    Yea, I am keeping the 5881's. I am not even removing the back of the amp. It has never been removed or touched inside.
    Regarding the Triple XXX. Its awesome. I swapped it to EL34's and did a quick bias and it sounds great.
    I said it before and I will say it again.. its very underated. I have owned several 5150's and I currently own a 5150-II and to my ears, this 60w Triple XXX 1 x 12" combo sounds just like a 5150. Basically, if you were looking for a 3 channel 5150-II 1 x 12 combo (which they never actually made), this would be it.
    If I had to, I would gig with this amp no problem. Its just stupid loud. Just like everything from Peavey. Built like a friggin tank too.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
      Grats!

That's pretty much as 80's heavy metal as you can get!
      Yea, its definative 80's metal. One listen to this amp and you would agree that the JCM900 was used ALOT by pro's in the recording studio. Especially the clean channel. Just add some chorus and you are back in the 80's very early 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        It has been in his closet at home since the day he bought it. He told me it has a total of probably 10 minutes of playing time on it since new.
        I know you said it sounds great but keep an eye on the filter caps. I power up all my amps once a year at the least to keep them in good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          I know you said it sounds great but keep an eye on the filter caps. I power up all my amps once a year at the least to keep them in good shape.
          Thanks Don, I really don't plan on using it. It looks great sitting on top of the matching JCM900 1960B cab that I have owned for years now.
          Its more of a conversation piece. For live use I am using my Single Rectifier. I love that amp. I occassionally use my 5150-II but it doesn't play well with other guitar amps. It just craps all over everything. Its a monster. The closest thing you could get to an SLO100 to my ears.

Comment

JG, how do all these awesome amps compare to the 5150 you sent me?
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              JG, how do all these awesome amps compare to the 5150 you sent me?
              I have never heard a 5150 that I didn't like and I have owned every version.

Comment

Since there is another resurgance of mini amp talk around here I would like to mention that my new Marshall JCM900 #4500 head is full size. It fits perfectly on my Marshall JCM900 4 x 12 1960B cab. Both of them are full size. I do have a mini Marshall though.

Its the MS2 half stack. It sits on my computer table. Its cool and sorry.. I am not gigging with it.

Comment

So John, now we both have 900s, 5150s, and Rectifiers? My 900 also sits on top of my (rather beat up) JCM900 1960A cab. The Rectifier sits on an old (but dead mint) Peavey Butcher cab with G12K85s, and the 5150, along with my Rhino Beast, sits on a Lopoline 2 X 12 loaded with V30s.

I almost bought a XXX a couple months ago. LOL, kinda weird eh?
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                    So John, now we both have 900s, 5150s, and Rectifiers? My 900 also sits on top of my (rather beat up) JCM900 1960A cab. The Rectifier sits on an old (but dead mint) Peavey Butcher cab with G12K85s, and the 5150, along with my Rhino Beast, sits on a Lopoline 2 X 12 loaded with V30s.

I almost bought a XXX a couple months ago. LOL, kinda weird eh?
                    great ears hear alike

Comment

Working...
                    X