No announcement yet.

NAD Strike Three!!! Randall RM100M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good score! I had the tolex coming free on mine as well. And the glue that was left there was just a gooey surface that nothing would stick to. Staple gun to the rescue.. lol.

After you get to playing around and seeing what you like and don't, voice your opinions and see what options you get before selling, trading, or modding. I've seen that tube swaps in the amp and the modules can make quite a difference in the MTS stuff. I only play low-medium volume so I don't really get into power tube saturation so I just stuck with a set of JJ 6L6's. But I have EH 12ax7's in V2 and the PI of the head, a 5751 in V1 (gave the amp great clarity all around), and have used everything from Tung-sol, Mesa, Marshall, JJ, EH and "whatever this one is" brands and 12AX7, 12AT7, and 5751 in different module spots. Then if you are handy with a soldering iron, cap/resistor changes make big differences too. Or send off for mods. Have fun once you get into it.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

And as far as I've heard, the first 2 digits are the year, and next 2 are the month. February 2006.

Comment

Fantastic amp and yes... its the heaviest amp head I have ever owned. I had a road case for it and it took 2 guys to carry it.
        Sounds great, its versatile and its made extremely well. I used one live for about 5 years and only had 1 tube failure in all that time.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
          After you get to playing around and seeing what you like and don't, voice your opinions and see what options you get before selling, trading, or modding.
          I'm great at buying but I suck at selling LOL! My shit just keeps piling up. Fett was my idol

I'm was an amp builder when I didn't have any $$$. Over the decades I have accumulated enough parts in the basement to build about a half dozen amps. I'll positively be modding. What I'd really like to do is to build my own modules. I haven't reseached, but if someone sold "blank" modules where you could build your own design, that would be AWESOME! I still have a high gain circuit I designed back in 1990 based off of a Mesa design and I loved that tone. I'd love to build a module based on the circuit.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this amp. From an amp builder's perspective, it's designed extremely well, with the bias on each tube, the safety features, big ass beefy trannies. The power tranny is so big because you have the heaters for 9 preamp tubes and 4 big tubes. It all adds up.

Thanks for the tip on the Tolex. What is odd is it seems "to short" in the back, like someone cut it incorrectly. I may just strip and recover. Python? Royal purple?

Comment

Royal purple python!

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              Thanks Rudy. I can't wait to get it home and try it out. I'll likely be using my Marshall 1960A cab with G12-75's. Those modules do look addicting. It seems like a very solid well built amp with lots of good features.
              I also forgot to add that the effects loops on these amps seem to work pretty well and are quite forgiving. I ran some pedals through the loop in the past and it worked.

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              Royal purple python!

Don't laugh, I would so rock royal purple python on stage!
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

But don't forget the loops are line level. I've found some pedals (instrument level) work good and some not. Some work well together, some not. But rack fx units seem fine in general. Only warnings I'd put out is don't plug in/unplug the footswitch with amp on, that can fry the midi board. But there's a mod to protect from that. And the "hot swappable" modules seems to be debatable. I normally put it in standby and swap away, but some have said to shut completely down before swapping modules. Including Bruce Egnater himself IIRC.

Comment

Thanks Warlok, I've also read those "Dos and Don'ts" on the MTS forum. I'll positively play it safe.

For effects, I have them, but never had used them. That might change for this amp. I have a MidiVerb 4, a BBE 442a for rack effects, a DS-1, TS-10, MT-2 and a couple of Crybabies.

Usually I just plug into the amp and go. Can the MTS footswitch act as a basic MIDI controller to the MidiVerb? If not, I might get a Beringer FC1010 I think.

Comment

The Randall foot switch will control the MidiVerb. I tried it with my Studio Quad and it would switch to patch 1, 2 or 3 depending on the button pressed, so it required a shuffle of patches on the unit. I'm sure you could map it to other patches depending on the capability of your fx unit.

I did experience a dropout with channel changes, but that may have been due to how I had it hooked up. Certainly haven't suffered any dropouts in general use with just the amp & switch or with gear in the loop. No probs when I tried the FCB1010 either

BTW, currently running an orange-dropped Blackface, stock 1086 for low/mid gain tones & JF 59RR in JCM800 mode
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

I'm home now and finally am getting a chance to play it. I just have stock modules, but I like them. The Fender Blackface sounds beefy when I play a something with a Super Distortion pickup thru it. Just quickly playing the Top Boost and the SL+, they sound similar with the SL+ having more lower mids and the TB a little more scooped. Lots of cool modules to choose from.
                      Last edited by DonP; 10-03-2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                        But don't forget the loops are line level. I've found some pedals (instrument level) work good and some not. Some work well together, some not. But rack fx units seem fine in general. Only warnings I'd put out is don't plug in/unplug the footswitch with amp on, that can fry the midi board. But there's a mod to protect from that. And the "hot swappable" modules seems to be debatable. I normally put it in standby and swap away, but some have said to shut completely down before swapping modules. Including Bruce Egnater himself IIRC.
                        Yes, I realize the loops are line level. But thats what I meant by them being pretty forgiving. I did run a couple pedals through there occassionally and they worked fine
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Now that I've had a little time to play with this amp,

a) It's no replacement for the DSL100. Love that amp.

b) What modules do people recommend that aren't "Marshally". I'd want this amp to compliment the DSL100, not compete against it. The Blackface module is very cool in that regard.

c) Right now this amp has EL34's, but I may go 6550A's or 6L6's or both? I have three of each.

d) For those who got rid of their RM100, why? There seems to be so many custom modules out there I don't see how you could ever get bored.

Thanks.

Comment

you talking stock or modded? High/mid/low gain?

Stock, how about the XTC? That SuperV (?) Lynch sig thingo is supposed to be a pretty bitchin' Vox copy.

check out some of the excellent Orange, Soldano, Vox/Matchless, Engl, 5150, Tweed/Deluxe mods. Jaded Faith's OD Special, for a Dumble-y flavour
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

I bought my RM100 several years ago, used. Despite having several other high end amps I have no intentions of getting rid of the RM100. I just don't think there is much else in its price range that can compete with it. XTC is one of my favorite modules. My friend who is a tech and repair guy likes the 1086 module. Of the Lynch modules I like Mr Scary. If none of the stock modules do it for you, there are so many modded ones out there I think we can start a whole new section in the forum just for those
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

I only recently picked up the 1086. It's a great, versatile module. It has become my lower gain go-to live, which really surprised me given that it's the Dan Donegan sig model. Didn't recommend it though because Don was wanting non-Marshally suggestions
                                Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                                X