Fortin NATAS vs Randall Satan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fortin NATAS vs Randall Satan

So I was surfing youtube today and stumbled across an Ola vid of his new upcoming signature amp. It a Randall called Satan. Apparently Mike Fortin had something to do with its design. It might be based somewhat off the NATAS model but apparently Ola says it's not the same.

Anyways, seems like a killer 7/8 string amp...

I kinda want one for doing a cover of Eurythmics Thorn in My Side.

I'm particularly fond of the tone at 2:35.

Here he is with the Fortin for reference...

Last edited by Hellbat; 10-01-2012, 11:33 PM.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

What's the conclusion here, the road to getting signature equipment is now to do a bunch of reviews on youtube? Interesting :think:

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I like his reviews even if they are bit too over-produced to paint an accurate picture and he writes some cool riffs.

Comment

Yeah, his clips are great, but he does manage to make all the amps he demos sound VERY similar. I guess that's what happens when you're particularly good at dialing in the sound you want.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Thats why I enjoyed the first video. It kind of shows the range of tones available more than most of his videos where he's dropping it into a mix. And there appear to be some good tones in that Randall.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Let me throw my hat in the ring on this. Thats generic dropped tuning high gain tone. Take just about any guitar, detune it, add whatever high gain tube amp you want and its gonna sound similar. Even the riffs. Generic. Heard them a million times. Yea.. the amp sounds good. It sounds like every other one posted online. Everything that guy posts sounds the same. At least he knows what tone he is looking for.

Comment

I'm sure the subtle nuances between each amp are being masked by the YT compression, just like all those bands on the radio sounding alike.

/sarcasm

And that can apply to Jazz players as well - spend tons of money on boutique custom guitars, amps, signature pickups, the absolute bestest volume and tone controls on your guitar, then roll off the tone knob and play the same root-octave thing Larry Coryell has been doing for 30 years.

Seriously, though, how many different riffs and distorted tones can actually work with 7 and 8-strings, especially in a Metal context? Maybe if people spent more time on the music itself instead of chasing amps and strings and worrying about who makes a better 15-string guitar with a low-J for ultra-crushing sub-sonic br00tz, they might have something worth listening to than just more jigga-jugga.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
                What's the conclusion here, the road to getting signature equipment is now to do a bunch of reviews on youtube? Interesting :think:
                Ola is also in Feared, Scarpoint, and the touring rhythm guitarist for Six Feet Under.

Comment

Okay, this is kinda going sideways from where I thought it would go. I posted not so much for the tones or the player, but mostly to see if any discussion came up regarding the small boutique guys design being picked up by a larger manufacturer and tied to a specific player. I remember back a couple years ago someone here was working with Mike Fortin on some mods as well as taking a crack at an early NATAS design.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I would buy it just because it's named after Satan.

Comment

And you're the target audience. And it's not very big. Which means get one now before they go out of business.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        And you're the target audience. And it's not very big. Which means get one now before they go out of business.
                        Exactly.

Comment

Satan..

Yes, my children..

..of the sea.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I don't see that amp sounding much different from anything else out there.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It sounds like everything I owned / played..well..for a long time.

I guess if people like these clips. I should sell Peaveys or some shit. It doesn't matter what Peavey ..It'll sound the same too.

Remember how vaccum cleaner sellers would go door to door. I'll take a Peavey 6505 combo, and say "Maam, may I interest you with the best guitar amp ever built by man"..Then I'll go in the house and stay there 'till her husband comes home and chases me out..or visa-versa. This could happen. A very likely scenario!

whatevah.. I'm not leaving the amp..or my pants!
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X