Cabinet for Mesa triple recto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    Did they play any of that abortion techo/whatever shit from their latest horrible album?
    Two songs when I saw them in Portland. I think they're really sensitive about how crappy it is too. "We are still death metal!" Yeah, ok David. Anyway, don't want to highjack the thread here...

So, I have to agree that matching cabs are always rad. This is my biggest beef with a company like Peavey. 6505s rule, but their cabs are just sub-par. I like the Mesa cabs more than I've ever really dug the Recto sound. They're really well built too.

Comment

6505s, and or 5150s sound BEST with their matching cabs loaded with Shefields.

Much tighter, less flab, and warmer than any celestion cab I tried. Prolly why they're tuned and designed for them.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Kreish from Lecherous Nocturne runs his Recto through Vader cabs. I think you'll find the tone articulate enough.

"Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Did they play any of that abortion techo/whatever shit from their latest horrible album?
          nope. they played 2 songs from the new album and that was it. everything else was classic MA from "altars" through "formulas". it was a killer show!!
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

You could ran any head thru any cab in the studio. Most likely you're NOT hearing the equipment you see live. Prolly not... protools, PC...software..mic..mixed..shake...stirred..and serve. Ask Andy Sneap...Erik Rutan, Peter Tangren...James Murphy..Dan Swano...U2's Bono.

These are facts.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Regarding morbid angel, I love everything up to gateways. That album and formulas are probably my favorite. Shame they did away with Steve tucker.

Thanks for all the discussion. I'm youtubing a bunch of amps and cabs between patients. Unfortunately, I have to drive fairly far away to hear these in person, but sounds like I'm gonna have to.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                You could ran any head thru any cab in the studio. Most likely you're NOT hearing the equipment you see live. Prolly not... protools, PC...software..mic..mixed..shake...stirred..and serve. Ask Andy Sneap...Erik Rutan, Peter Tangren...James Murphy..Dan Swano...U2's Bono.

These are facts.
                QFT!

Originally posted by Dannibal Corpse View Post
                Regarding morbid angel, I love everything up to gateways. That album and formulas are probably my favorite. Shame they did away with Steve tucker.

Thanks for all the discussion. I'm youtubing a bunch of amps and cabs between patients. Unfortunately, I have to drive fairly far away to hear these in person, but sounds like I'm gonna have to.
                Yeah, I'd really have to suggest trying them out. I youtubed Orange's DT before I bought it... there wasn't anyone around who had them in stock, so I had to base my purchase on youtube videos, some of them with excellent recordings, but I couldn't really find any that played music similar to what I play... so I just went on that.

Of course, the DT sounds amazing when coupled with an EQ in the FX loop. It's not all that great at really fast articulation. The tone of the DT absolutely shines on slower material and down tuned material. I can't really give you a beat count, but it's amazing for thrash, and I learned to appreciate stoner/doom/sludge on it. Holding those chords and notes for a few counts, even till it breaks up and feedbacks is just amazing. I mean, the best sounding amp I've ever owned for me, but it just doesn't like super fast single-note attack... I think the response time is more geared towards general metal than specific technical death. So I kinda do want a different amp, but even if I find it, I'll still keep the DT, because it really does sound that good.

And to expand on my not liking the Mesa Dual... it sounds great, but if you've been to enough local gigs, there isn't all that much variety. Kinda like SWR bass amps... the tone is great, but the tone is SWR. That's why I always preferred Ampeg. I could always fish more different tones out of my Ampeg setup than I could a Mesa or SWR setup.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  And to expand on my not liking the Mesa Dual... it sounds great, but if you've been to enough local gigs, there isn't all that much variety. Kinda like SWR bass amps... the tone is great, but the tone is SWR. That's why I always preferred Ampeg. I could always fish more different tones out of my Ampeg setup than I could a Mesa or SWR setup.
                  My buddy even swears there are "dead spots" in the Mesa Duals. Like where he adjusts the EQ and it produces no difference at all. I can't verify that directly, but I've heard a few people say similar things in regards to Dual Rectos.

Comment

Bass amps = Carvin...then Ampeg (way too overpriced).

Comment

Originally posted by VanHoosen View Post
                      My buddy even swears there are "dead spots" in the Mesa Duals. Like where he adjusts the EQ and it produces no difference at all. I can't verify that directly, but I've heard a few people say similar things in regards to Dual Rectos.
                      I dunno, maybe the Dual I had was bad... but I've a couple of friends who had them in the past. I enjoyed listening to them, but I could never find tone that I liked while playing with them. I would always get "almost there" though, but it was a lot like being stir crazy... I could never just settle in with one.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I used to adjust the Buzz with my Dual Recto. I'd adjusted it for weeks, months, ..then I got a 5150. Then two 5150s.

Comment

Bass amps = Carvin...then Ampeg (way too overpriced).
                          Aguilar for me.
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

These are facts.
                            True! And not only that, but when you see a big name artist using a cab live you're assuming they're using stock speakers. In reality we have no clue what they're really loaded with. Another thing to watch for is many high end cabs are built by one company and just the name on it is what's different from one brand to another.
                            You can even buy a used cab cheap, say a Marshall 4x12 then buy used speakers off various forums to load it and experiment with. I've been doing a bit of that myself lately
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

I have an Avatar cab loaded with V30s and Eminence Governors...sounds great, well built and it cost way less than buying an Orange, Mesa or Marshall cab. wiring it up is pretty easy as long as you pay attention to your Ohms and you can put whatever speaker floats your boat in them!
                              "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                              ENGL Powerball II
                              Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                              Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                              Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                              1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                              1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                              2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                              2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                              1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                              2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
                              1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
                              1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
                              2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
                              2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
                              2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
                              2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
                              2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
                              2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
                              2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
                              1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Q
                                Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                                Lots of low end? 400w High Power 4x12 Orange with Celestion G12K100's of course.
                                That's the same speaker used in the Marshall MF400 and it's the same dimensions as an oversized Rectifier Cab. My Triple sounds killer through it, I use a Maxon OD808 for a clean boost. Perfect for some Dying Fetus.
                                Last edited by hunter1970; 10-22-2012, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X