Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Score: Randall RG200ES/Century200. (But why two 8ohm speaker jacks???)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Score: Randall RG200ES/Century200. (But why two 8ohm speaker jacks???)

UPS finally delivered my 1980's USA Randall RG200ES today. I read that it's the same thing as a Randall Century200, just a different name. Apparently, Dimebag used these at some point. I'm not a Dimebag fan, but whatever - it sounds good. It is comically large though, and pretty heavy for a Solid State amp.

I'm using my old Crate 2x12 combo (loaded with Eminence "Governor" and "Man-O-War" speakers) as a cab. And no, I'm not playing bass through it - the bass just happens to be in the photo.

I do have a question about the OHM rating... It has a total 4 ohm minimum, with two speaker jacks (each labeled 8ohm). Can I assume the speaker jacks are mono, and wired in parallel? Is it okay to use only use ONE of the 8ohm speaker outs, and wire it to a 4ohm cab? It seems like the amp would still "see" a 4ohm load, so it should be okay. Remember, it's solid state.

The 4 ohm minimum means you can't go below 4 ohms or you will fry your amp. You can use any load 4 ohms or greater. The fewer ohms, the more power you will get out of it. That's why you cannot go below 4 ohms, because it will deliver too much power, overheat the output Transistors and fry the amp.

The speaker jacks are in parallel and you can use two 8 ohm cabs or a single 4. Do not use (2) 4 ohm cabs which would equal a 2 ohm load to the head.

You can safely use higher loads like a single 8 or 16, or you can use an 8 and a 16 but the 8 ohm cab will be louder because it will suck more power.

Comment

My bet is the XT120R you have in the picture sounds better overall when compared to the RG200.

Dimebag used lots of RG100ES amps back in the old days. Randall amps are cool, built really well and sound great.

Comment

Sweet man nice score... expecting a Cowboys from Hell cover video soon.

Originally posted by Deadlock View Post
        I'm not a Dimebag fan, but whatever -
        Huh?
        sigpic
        Action Jackson

Comment

yep, he also used RG100HT's which was the rack mount model, they arent easy to find. i've had a few of the old RG100's great amps for what they are. I liked the fact it wasnt a clean and gain channel, you can set them both dirty and use one for lead one for rhythm, or set them almost the same and use a single channel for rhythm, then both at the same time for a lead boost. I don;t know if the RG200, will also do that but the old RG100's would. With an EQ pedal you can nail that old Lynch tone too. I still have an old hot rodded RGT100ES somewhere in my parents basement.

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          My bet is the XT120R you have in the picture sounds better overall when compared to the RG200.

Dimebag used lots of RG100ES amps back in the old days. Randall amps are cool, built really well and sound great.
          Last edited by j2379; 10-26-2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X