• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp Gas

I'm thinking of getting a new amp and the following are on the table:

Peavey Ultra Plus
    Mesa 50 Watt Rectoverb
    Hughes and Kettner Triamp

I like high gain so these are looking pretty good to me right now. I've had a 3 channel rectifier, but never a 2 and I had a Triamp. Never had a Peavey so I wanted some opinions. And the list is in ascending price, but even the Triamp is under $1k. Any thoughts?

don't know much about those but how about an olde Mesa/Boogie DC-5? Those are great amps and best bang for the buck that I ever spent on an amp. 50 watts, 6L6, 2 channels, reverb, EQ. You can grab one between 500-600. Way under rated imho. I have a combo version that I pair witht a Mesa 1x12 widebody 3/4 back cab and it sounds a lot bigger.

its on the far right here

Attached Files
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

I like the Rectoverb although I think the best sounding Rectifier is still the Single Solo Series II

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        I like the Rectoverb although I think the best sounding Rectifier is still the Single Solo Series II
        I agree 100% on the Rectoverb! Best sounding Mesa I ever had. I did the series effect loop mod on the one I had and was good to go. That combo combined with a 3/4 back cab was awesome!

Comment

Way off topic, but what about an old four-holer Marshall? For about the same price? Nothing ever opened my ears like one of those did.

Happy shopping. You can't go wrong with any of those options.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
            Way off topic, but what about an old four-holer Marshall? For about the same price? Nothing ever opened my ears like one of those did.

Happy shopping. You can't go wrong with any of those options.
            He is looking for a high gain amp. You can't get much lower gain than a 4 input Marshall!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              He is looking for a high gain amp. You can't get much lower gain than a 4 input Marshall!
              Sure you can...70's Fender Twin.

BTW J...please take a look at your PM's.
              I'm about to restock and need your opinion on some things.
              Winter is heavy building season for me.

Comment

The Peavey I'm digging right now is the 3120. Killer - along the lines of a JVM210. The H&K Triamp has always been intriguing - the people I've seen playing it always make it sound good, but I understand it can be somewhat sterile.

Comment

Working...
                X