Crate BV150H new tubes have arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate BV150H new tubes have arrived!

Well i have 2 Crate Blue Voodoo BV150H heads. these are not like the 120 watt heads that are so so. these are three channels modeled after a triple rec and I just love them. I took the Crate logos off my main one and have a couple of stickers I do all my own biasing and just got my tubes a couple of days ago. All tung Sol reissue 12ax7 preamp tubes and a matched sextet of Winged C 6L6GC power tubes.

My main head has Ruby tubes 6l6cdstr power tubes and 4 different types of preamp tubes and sounds really good. I took the Crate logo off and have a Hifonics audio sticker on it and everyone thinks its a boutique amp and wants to know where to get one. You should see the look on their faces when i tell them it's a Crate! priceless

So i had a good recomendation on the tube set and while the winged c's are hugely expensive I decided to go ahead and splurge!

I conventiently took the day off, wife is out of town and i wonder what i am going to do today?

Sounds like some time for some extreme "testing"
    1989 Magenta Charvel 650XL (Now my main guitar) , 1989 White Charvel 650XL, 1989 Trans Amber 750 XL, 1989 Cherry Sunburst 750XL Abortion,1990 Jackson soloist ATT pro Trans Red, 1993 Jackson Dinky Std Black with pick guard , 1992 Jackson Stealth Ex repainted, 1994 JDR-94, 1994 JDR-94, 1995 DR3 (Old Main Guitar) trans purple quilted maple picture , 2002 RR5 white and gold, 1988 Model 4 cobalt blue, 1993 Jackson Fusion Std black, 1990's Alvarez Fusion acoustic electric cutaway, 2009 Alvarez AD60ck Koa acoustic electric cutaway. Crate BV-150 Heads, SKB PS55 pedal Board, Shure wireless

why didn't you go for 6 KT88's?
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

2 things jumped out on me with your thread.
      1st thing was you mentioned the BV150H is modeled after that Triple Recto. Thats funny when you think about it.
      2nd thing was you mentioned you removed the Crate logo. Why? If an amp sounds great than who the F cares what logo is on it?
      Are you embarrassed that its a Crate?
      I saw a band recently that sounded alot like Godsmack. They were an original band. The guitar player was playing a BV150H and I thought his guitar tone was crushing. It did sound like a Rectifier to me. I thought it was cool that it was a Crate.

Quick little story. I did a gig years back using a Soldano SLO100 head. 2 guys walked up to me after the show and told me I played really good and that one day I should think about stepping up and getting a Marshall amp like the pro's use.
      Last edited by jgcable; 11-07-2012, 12:36 PM.

Comment

LOL, definitely not ashamed. i actually have 2 of those heads and i only took the logo off because it was damaged and as an experiment to see if the people that were always just negative against Crates and say they sucked if they would say it still sucked if there was no logo to tell them what it was and all they had to judge with was the tone.

I just hear so many people bash them without actually listening to them. I actually used to play with modded 120 watt heads that were also pretty decent

Pretty funny on your story, I have had the same thing said to me many times

And on the KT88's, honestly I never even considered them. while I can bias my own amps I really dont have that much tube knowledge. My other head will get tubes here pretty soonas well so tell me why you should think i should go in that direction.
        Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        2 things jumped out on me with your thread.
        1st thing was you mentioned the BV150H is modeled after that Triple Recto. Thats funny when you think about it.
        2nd thing was you mentioned you removed the Crate logo. Why? If an amp sounds great than who the F cares what logo is on it?
        Are you embarrassed that its a Crate?
        I saw a band recently that sounded alot like Godsmack. They were an original band. The guitar player was playing a BV150H and I thought his guitar tone was crushing. It did sound like a Rectifier to me. I thought it was cool that it was a Crate.

Quick little story. I did a gig years back using a Soldano SLO100 head. 2 guys walked up to me after the show and told me I played really good and that one day I should think about stepping up and getting a Marshall amp like the pro's use.
        1989 Magenta Charvel 650XL (Now my main guitar) , 1989 White Charvel 650XL, 1989 Trans Amber 750 XL, 1989 Cherry Sunburst 750XL Abortion,1990 Jackson soloist ATT pro Trans Red, 1993 Jackson Dinky Std Black with pick guard , 1992 Jackson Stealth Ex repainted, 1994 JDR-94, 1994 JDR-94, 1995 DR3 (Old Main Guitar) trans purple quilted maple picture , 2002 RR5 white and gold, 1988 Model 4 cobalt blue, 1993 Jackson Fusion Std black, 1990's Alvarez Fusion acoustic electric cutaway, 2009 Alvarez AD60ck Koa acoustic electric cutaway. Crate BV-150 Heads, SKB PS55 pedal Board, Shure wireless

Comment

man..holy crappola on a matched sextet of the Winged C KT88's

Comment

I had KT66s in my old Crate BV60 head... holy shit, that thing sounded awesome! Never tried the KT88s.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Blue voodoos kickass. I had one for a while.

Comment

Working...
              X