Tube amp suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube amp suggestions

Hey there, I got tired of my small SS Peavey amp and want to move on and get a tube amp, I like 80's thrash and glam metal and want an amp that can cover those 2 genres. My budget is 700$. There isnt a guitar store nearby so I cant try any. I prefer a combo since I dont have a cab. My guitars are a Jackson RR3 and a Gibson MM SG maple body. Any suggestions ? I have been considering a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
    Last edited by masthefool; 11-12-2012, 12:38 AM.

Is $700 total for amp and cab?

Why a combo instead of a 4x12?

My DSL100 and RM100LB have served me well. That said, both may bust the budget.

Laney AOR series might be better priced, but not sure if you'd call them thrash. Positively a rock/glam amp though.

How important is the thrash factor?

Comment

I just bought a Traynor YCV80 and I LOVE the tone I have. Theres some other higher end traynor stuff as well, I would have a look. I just went through this entire process of trying to find "tone" and I tried a ton of amps...its was painful..but I'm very happy with the Traynor so far....I was looking at all amps, not just tube....

I tried the Peavey XXX and it did NOTHING for me. Not the same as the Peavey you mentioned I know, but a still a modern Peavey tube amp....
      Last edited by dvscool; 11-12-2012, 08:51 AM.
      -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        Is $700 total for amp and cab?

Why a combo instead of a 4x12?

My DSL100 and RM100LB have served me well. That said, both may bust the budget.

Laney AOR series might be better priced, but not sure if you'd call them thrash. Positively a rock/glam amp though.

How important is the thrash factor?
        Its for playing in my bedroom and a 4x12 would be too loud and I like to play Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Pantera and glam I like Ratt , Motley Crue, Dokken , VH and many more

Comment

marshall dsl combo would fit the bill
          Red JDR-94
          Maroon PS-3T with shark fin neck
          Duncan Invader pickups
          Jackson>ZW Wah>Vintage phase 90>ZW OD or Boss SD>Maxon SD9>MXR Flange 117>NS2>Bugera 1960>effects loop>boss chorus>MXR 10-band>effects loop return

Comment

Find a used 5150/6505 2x12 combo. That has been my bedroom amp for years...so damn heavy, I never move out of my bedroom. Gain for days and throw a BBE 422 in there.
            You get the extra tone controls with the 6505+ combo but it is also made in China if that matters.
            No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

Originally posted by masthefool View Post
              Its for playing in my bedroom and a 4x12 would be too loud
              I see another case of uninformedness here

what makes you think a 50W tube combo with 1 speaker isn't gonna be loud?
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                I see another case of uninformedness here

what makes you think a 50W tube combo with 1 speaker isn't gonna be loud?
                Exactly. Even a 1-watt tube amp is loud!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My bad then, kinda new to amps, as im only used to a small Peavey.

Comment

Yeah, tube amps are pretty loud. Even my Orange Dark Terror set to 7 watt mode with a 1x12 can get quite loud. It can also do bedroom level sound, but it's totally overkill for even that application. I have a Line 6 Spider 15w that I use at home. All my guitars sound decent through it. I barely ever have it turned up a few mm from the point you can't hear it. It never really even gets past that 1-2ish mark. At low volumes, it's probably best to stick with SS. I bought my DT for practice/rehearsal volume because it's small, portable but will put out enough sound for trying out or writing with another guitarist and so it would sound good at that level.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

This is the reason I love my RM100. I only play in my home studio (read - bedroom I set up the way I weant and record in.. or try to) but the RM100 has a great master volume and the preamp modules can be built with so much gain and saturation in the tone that I don't have get into power tubes distortion. It sounds amazing even at very low volume. I'd say you are a perfect candidate for a MTS amp and some modules. RM20/22/50 or even the 100 if you want. Take a look at them.
                      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I've never played the 5150/6505 but always hear good things about them. My #1 amp is still my old 50W JCM800 1x12 combo. The one with MV and reverb. I have a couple of 100W heads that I love but that little combo still has the best tone, to me. I bought it so I could use it without cabinets, and because it was small and portable.

In hard times I'd have to pawn or sell cabinets and I still always had a great amp to use. These days I use it, and all my amps, through two greenback 4x12s, and I only play at home. Yes 50W can be loud, but so is 100W, and I use both at home all the time at reasonable levels and have never had a complaint. I wouldn't worry too much about the power or the name brand. Just find what sounds good to you at a price you can afford. That will get you further than power or features or speakers, and you can always upgrade down the road.

Comment

Yeah, there's a reason and a use for a mastervolume

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                            Yeah, there's a reason and a use for a mastervolume
                            sure. but plenty of big amps sound like crap with the MV below 1.
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                              sure. but plenty of big amps sound like crap with the MV below 1.
                              Well, not really the amps fault, more to do with the Fletcher–Munson curves our ears are accustomed to

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                              X