Splawn Owners: opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splawn Owners: opinions?

It's that time of the year and I'm thinking about finally dropping the coin on a Splawn. The Street Rod 1x12 has my eye with the fact I can run it at 20w, relatively small footprint, and it's spec'd similar to the Quick Rod. I've used a QR in the past (as in years ago) and really liked its thick mids and really raunchy modded-Marshall tone.

But I understand a guitar store demo is hardly the test of an amp. My question for Splawn owners is are you happy with the tone after years of use? How does it sit in the mix live? Anything you wished it did differently?

Thanks,
    Dave

Are you looking for a combo, or a head?

Comment

I still like my quick rod alot after 3 years. its solid tone. as you said,its a ruanchy modded marshall sound.....heavy in mids, and it blasts right through the mix. thats what they do, and thats all they do. I dont play live alot, I have only used it once on stage, and it was great. worked like a champ and sounded great. I can see where the street rod is attractive with the 20W option. if the street rod where available when I got my quick rod, I probably would have went that route.
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I you liked the QR, take a look at the Competition. If you don't need a clean channel, you're golden! 50/25 watts, angry as the QR, but a bit less stiff.

Comment

TM nailed it right on the head...they're mid-heavy, stand out in the mix and that's pretty much what they're designed to do and do well, very well. I loved my QR, but unfortunately had to sell it because I just can't swing more than one amp right now. It is one of the few amps that I've owned and sold that I plan on owning again at some point. If hot-rodded-modded-Marshally tone is what you're after, you can't go wrong with a Splawn IMO.

Comment

I don't own one, but spent an afternoon testing the Street Rod with a 2x12. It sounded good, but not "you will walk out with this amp" good. I may revisit with their new "Supersport" model.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I still have a older shared EQ QR. Its still in the arsenal and still kicking butt
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                I you liked the QR, take a look at the Competition. If you don't need a clean channel, you're golden! 50/25 watts, angry as the QR, but a bit less stiff.
                This.
                "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Working...
                X