'58? Gibson GA-40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '58? Gibson GA-40

I was given a late 50s (I believe a 1958) Gibson Les Paul GA-40 amp from my uncle many years ago. I never really gave it any use because it has a humming/thumping sound when powered on. I assume it needs an overhaul but never really wanted to sink any money into it until I recently looked into this amp some more online and realize the potential of the amp (as well as the value!). The original Jensen speaker is a bit dry rotted or torn I think (been a few years since I've looked at it), so there's just some cheap Peavey speaker in there now.

My question is, how much would I expect to pay (ballpark!) to have something like this gone through and replace/fix anything needing done (tubes/caps/etc). I realize that it really depends on how bad and what needs to be done, but what would/could be a guesstimate ceiling price? $200? $300? more?

Also, anyone know of any trusted amp techs in the southern CT area?

Here's some pics lifted from a recent ebay listing. Mine is pretty much exactly the same except the speaker grill on mine is a little more beat than this one (has a half a dozen small rips in it). And mine is only about 20 digits higher than the serial on this one (mine is something like 515839). I will try to get some sound samples of the humming/thumping sound when i have a chance.

Working...
X