Mic preamp for recording guitar amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mic preamp for recording guitar amp

I prefer to use my Boss GT-10 with the FX return of my Randall RT50C combo rather than the speaker sims of the GT. My Roland VS2400 mutlitrack recorder/mixer has an AE-7000 AES/EBU to RBUS interface.

What I want is a dual mic pre with an AES/EBU output. 1 channel for recording my amp, the other for vocals. I am not in a position to try before I buy. I'd prefer a transparent mic pre whereby I can still add character when I need it as opposed to one that automatically adds character whether I want it or not.

My instinct tells me to get a used TC Electronic Gold Channel for £660-£800. It has AES in and out as standard. There are 2 others suggested: Audient Mico or a Focusrite ISA one (the latter would involve buying the £50 AES expansion board whereby the AES/EBU requires a breakout cable - serial or similar to XLR). They're approx £400-£450 each. Suggestions?
    Last edited by wilkinsi; 01-02-2013, 11:49 AM.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

I just spotted an Audient ASP008 for a grand. 8 mic pre's at once. Its got an AES+ADAT option too.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Anyone care to comment/recommend?
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Nowadays its all about USB and Firewire audio interfaces and preamps into computers running DAWs mate... Get with the program!
        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Fuck latency!
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

What latency?
            I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Just spotted a DBX 386 for £444, though its a tube dual preamp. Should I be happy with a tube preamp, or go for the more expensive transparent pre's?
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Personally i would go with a transparent preamp, the tubes will colour the sound a bit - which might actually sound alright - but you probably want the purest signal possible when recording a guitar amp. A lot of amp heads nowadays have a preamp out, which enables you to record just the preamp signal (i.e. the sound of the amp but without a speaker cab), which you can then lay a cabinet sim over. I would also use a DI box to record the clean signal simultaneously.

Originally posted by RD
                ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

That knocks it down to just the TC Gold Channel and the Audient ASP008AES.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Do you really need more than 2 channels to record guitar?

Originally posted by RD

Comment

Just had a look at the TC Electronics Gold Channel - i would stay away from built-in compressors, effects and shit in preamps to be used for recording guitars. Granted, TC Electronics is the shit but like i said, quality preamps with good transparency is what you're after. I recommend you get a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4. I need to pick one up myself at some point.

Originally posted by RD

Comment

The Focusrites you mention don't have AES/EBU outputs, only USB.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Because only old school nerds use AES/EBU digital. New school nerds are all about USB hehe.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Old school nerd, huh? I suppose the next suggestion will be that Roland Studio Capture
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Bought the Audient ASP008.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Working...
                              X