Carvin Legacy II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin Legacy II

Saw one today and had second thoughts because lack of reverb.
    I could run a processor in the loop or a verb pedal so not a huge deal.
    Just don't know much about them.
    Its a Carvin so no resale value I'm thinking.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

From my experience the Legacy stuff seems to hold value fairly decently. I have a Legacy 2x12 cab and see them going used for decent coin. My clos friend had a Legacy head for a few years and loved it. He ran it with a processor in the FX loop and it sounded great through the Legacy 4x12 cab. Give it a try, I bet you'll like it.
    My Toys:
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
    '94 Dinky HX in Black
    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I like having reverb.

Comment

I did get it but waiting on the release from GC.
        I played it and it sounds really nice.Has the green in behind the grill on the head and cab.Red piping.
        Very nice condition with cab and head covers.Even has Steve Vai's sig in gold sharpie on the front.Maybe some mojo rubbed off LOL.
        25/50/100 W switch on the back plus a bias switch so I may try 5881's in it some day.
        Apparently the guy traded it in with a Legacy 2X12 cab too so I may grab it if its still there when I go back.The head,and 2X12 cab sitting on top of the 4X12 looked pretty slick I will say.
        I did see it on my local CL a few weeks ago but it was priced way too high for me to even consider it.
        Last edited by straycat; 01-10-2013, 10:41 PM.

Comment

You are quickly becoming my hero. Its a great amp. All the Legacy amps sound fantastic.

Comment

Ha ha thanks JG I have read a lot of your amp posts and I think the way you do most of the time.
            I have had X100B's and Valve Master model Carvins and loved them.Their rack amps a damn nice too.
            Ben Fargen had a hand in this amps design so I'm calling it a win.
            I'm guessing this was a NAMM show amp because it has Vai's sig on the front most have no sig.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              Ha ha thanks JG I have read a lot of your amp posts and I think the way you do most of the time.
              I have had X100B's and Valve Master model Carvins and loved them.Their rack amps a damn nice too.
              Ben Fargen had a hand in this amps design so I'm calling it a win.
              I'm guessing this was a NAMM show amp because it has Vai's sig on the front most have no sig.
              The nice thing about the Legacy 1 and the Legacy 2 is how clean they sound. No fizz at all. Just all goodness. Its the one thing that bugged me a little about the X100B and the Valvemasters. They sounded great really loud but they were a little fizzy at decent live club levels. The Legacy is a super refined X100B. It also sounds GODLY with a G-Major in the loop. Its one of those amps I NEVER should have sold. Getting a Namm Legacy 2 is a very cool thing. I have heard of them. Vai signs them. I also have a Carvin Quad X with the TS100 power amp. Its possibly the best direct tone for recording of anything I currently have. I use it for almost every recording for rhythm tracks.

Comment

Can't wait to get it home and play with it.

Comment

Picked it up today and have been noodleing around tweaking stuff.
                  Really a nice versatile amp I'm very pleased with it.All I have tried so for has been on the 50 watt setting and pretty nice tones in there just have to find them.LOL
                  I love tweaking amps searching for that sweet spot.
                  Nice cleans too channel#1 has a nice sparkle,#2 is a clean boost which has some hair on it which is pretty nice.#3 is the high gain side and wow its a monster.
                  Not a ton of bottom end which I was hoping for on this amp,very mid range-y again I like that about it,Very very smooth boutique like drive.
                  Loves time based effects thru thru FX loop, really great FX loop too.
                  Have not tried OD pedals thru the front yet but really see no need to since the drive channel is super nice.
                  10 out of 10 condition I can't find a mark on it anywhere.

Last edited by straycat; 01-15-2013, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Looks great man, congrats.

My understanding is the Legacy (the original at least) is based off of Steve's Bogner (or Bogner modded) heads from before he went back to working with Carvin.

I'm trying to figure out how to sneak a head and 4x12 past the wife, but she's too observant of things bigger that an effects pedal so I stick to my 1x12 combo.
                    Last edited by Hellbat; 01-15-2013, 10:42 PM.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks Hellbat I'm single so its not a problem LOL.
                      JG Ben Fargen had a hand in the design of these amps according to Steve Vai and his amps are very well regarded.
                      I'm enjoying this one for sure.
                      So many cool ass amps out on the market right now at crazy cheap prices.

Comment

It's definitely a good time to be a guitar player these days. Free video lessons, massive amounts of choice on quality amps, easy access to a crazy variety of effects, and many amps crammed into digital boxes.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Lots to choose from thats for sure.
                          Funny thing today I friend of mines tube head took a dump during practice and he called me hey man let me try out that old Behringer GMX 1200 head you have.
                          I said yeah sure so I took it over to him.
                          He used to rag on me for having this SS modeler in my stash saying its a POS amp.I have used everyday for 7-8 years here at home to practice on because it sounds great at low volume.
                          Hooked it up to his Mesa 4X12 cab put the amp on the rectified setting and he cranked it.
                          He got thru the first song and said holy shit that POS sounds damn good for a SS head. Dialed in some delay and off to the second song.
                          His band is a doom metal band down tuned to drop Q LOL but the Beheringer did a hell of a job for 3 hours.
                          We both were amazed how good it did at high volume

Comment

I don't know how many, but Steve signed a batch when they were first released. It wasn't really anything to do with NAMM. I have a signed LII, still can't play like Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X